Which Electronic Ignition Kit

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a well proven hassle free lammy ignition kit for a GP 200 stage 4 (poss going to a TS1 in the near future). I have had a number of issues with the current set up and will ditch it and renew the whole lot. Can anyone advise what's the best out there at present with perhaps a reasonably lightened flywheel ? Thanks
lambro

Personally,
I love the Varitronic, I have 2 lammies running it, and 3 Vespa's on the Vespatronic.
Hassle free and very reliable.
I also like the look of the new system that Scootopia have been testing, all Ducati and I think its from Tino.
But as I say,
Varitronic from me :-)
Strummer10

Cheers Lambro, in these modern times we should not expect to have any issues whatsoever, but hey ho. I will take a look at this kit then as I really need an easy life nowadays !! (Ha owning a Lambretta no way )
Strummer10

Interesting........I just stuck a mates SIL lightened flywheel on me scoot, and without even checking tdc/timing it started first time...........conclusion flywheel no good..........
joespeed

before you rule the flywheel as knaff check the pickup has not got shorted with swarf!
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I had similar issues with a stator that I'd rebuilt so I stripped it down and went back over it but found no issues. I then stripped the stator down and rebuilt it with a different LY coil and pickup box, but still had the same. Changing the flywheel did not help either.

Eventually I twigged to the fact that I was using a mag housing that I'd had 1mm skimmed out of for an AF electronic kit in the late 80s/early 90s. I knew that one of the stator configurations that I'd tried had worked ok on another motor, and with one of the flywheels tested, so I put a roughly 1mm washer under the stator and 'bingo' perfect ignition with no misfire! This just goes to show how a little difference in height alignment can make a massive difference to the result.

I'm not saying that this is your problem here but it might be that the SIL flywheel now aligns better than your Indian light AF.

I have heard others talk about issues with these Indian made AF light flywheels but I've never experienced an issue with one that wasn't alignment related.

Adam
jedan71
Xbox live gamer tag: Jedan71

I fitted a SIL lightened flywheel and stator, visually set the timing up, started second kick, as charging, I know it's great voltage as I accidentally touched main feed to headset and earth and I got a hell of a jolt....can laugh about it now..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Strummer10

Joespeed / Adam,

No swarf under pick up box but I will try and see if I can get the AF lightened flywheel to work. My problem seems to be that before (on the old crank) the flywheel was not tight onto the stator and as close to the pick up box as now (ie, the back of the flywheel is tight to the stator and extremely close to the pick up box and I have put in the allen headed bolts). The solution might be to grind down a plate under the pick up box......and thinner mag flange gasket as I do not have the ability at home to remove 1mm of inside of mag flange. At least I now know the rest of the electronics kit is ok.....
Strummer10

Jedan...........I think the SIL flywheel has resolved it for now, but as it's a mates I will still have to resolve or source another flywheel.
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

Just revisiting this thread. Can anyone give feedback on the Scootopia Electronic kit now that it's been out for a while. I'm just about to buy a new Electronic set up and the Scootopia kit seems to a good bet ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information