Polossi 220?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

I got my ones from Scootre centre, sip didn't have any in stock. And yes ali barrel, just done a 221 for a mate , and doing the 210 kit for myself at the moment.
philhnottm
Main scooter: px (s)

So going back to joeys initial post what benifit in putting a malossi piston in a polini . I think sip sell a worb 5 like this but steel barrel

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Rally220
Main scooter: Lambretta S2 TS1 240

philhnottm wrote:As the other thread shows I killed my diablo moto polini :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Im now going to go for the aly kit as opposed to the steel 208 that was fitted as I had a couple of high speed heat seizes on the M way

So questions!!

Will the new ally 210 kit work with a 60 ml longstroke crank that was fitted (which will also need replacing) ??

Do I need a different piston or will the new polini piston fit without any issues

Do I need to fit a GS piston which was fitted to the steel 208 kit??

Is there any real benefit to fitting a GS or malossi piston ??

Prior to destruction it was nearly 20 BHP and almost 19lbs of torque so not a balls out racer but a good tourer that pulled well .

I've now decided to go for ( on the re build)

New Polini alley 210 kit
SIP MMW head (same as fitted before)
Pinasco 60 ml longstroke crank (same as what Diablo fitted on the original build and set up)
Delorto 28 ml carb ( no reedvalve)
Delorto fuel pump which ive told I need with this set up.

As the tuning work has already been done im hoping this will be a re build with almost one for one swap with destroyed parts??

Really value any opinions advice on the above

Thanks

Phil
Phil I'm going for almost the same set up, 60 mm crank etc, I holed my original piston, so stripped engine and doing rebuild. The sealing pad has slight score marks so I'm going reed valve as well. I'm going for the GS piston as the Polini piston top ring is a 'dyke' ring, like an L shape. With the 60mm crank the piston will be 1.5mm nearer the head, getting MMW 60mm head for it so no packer plate needed. The 207 piston as I understand it is 68mm whereas the 210 Ally kit is 68.5mm. Have you considered the Polini 221 kit, comes complete with head and bolt straight onto 60mm crank? I would but my 210 barrell is fine so can't justify spending out on a new kit. Good luck.
philhnottm
Main scooter: px (s)

That's really helpful as I destroyed diablos finest it complete new internals so the 221 is now looking favourite are you going 28 or 30 ml carb on the Reed valve

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Rally220

I had a 30mm phbh on it anyway, so keeping that its more than sufficient and easy to jet.
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

joeythescooterboy wrote:How easy is it to do a Polossi using the new ally polini kit?
Assuming you are talking about new the long stroke version:
If you don't trust the Polini piston then the Grand Sport piston will be more cost effective than the Malossi as you should be able to use the Polini head.
Is the Polini piston that bad? it looks very wrong to me but surely Polini would have upgraded it if it was a problem. Wouldn't they? :oops:

SF
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

^^ Exactly , the piston is asso , same as malossi etc , I don't forsee any problems
Rally220

The only problem with the Polini piston (210 Ally kit) is the top ring is a dyke ring, L shaped so not really ideal for revvy engines, yeah I know the polini is more a torquey kit not revvy, and certainly not ideal for 60mm crank with no packer. GS piston is the one I'm going for and having compared Malossi and Polini side by side the Malossi has reinforcing ribs under the crown of the piston and certainly feels slightly heavier.
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

I think everyone is right :D It depends what you want to do with the scooter. The GS piston in the ally 208 with a 60mm crank and the packer mostly at the head will make a good cruiser. The malossi piston in an ally 208 with a 60mm crank and the packer all on the base will make a higher rpm road scoot.
None will beat my highly modified iron 207 with a malossi piston tho !! :lol:
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Jack221 wrote:None will beat my highly modified iron 207 with a malossi piston tho !! :lol:

Jack.
As you are probably aware the window positions in the rear piston skirt are higher on the Polini than Malossi. What did you do to the Malossi piston to resolve this mismatch?

SF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information