New 200 SIL stripdown ... Grit and sand...!!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
simon

I have done just over 400 miles with my SIL engine had to replace the rear hub oil seal (no sign of grit or contamination) but apart from that it is running great

fingers crossed :biggrin:
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I supplied the one Simon has. It was a genuine SIL engine, think I had about a dozen. I prefer to sell them rebuilt and change the crank, piston, top end bearings / seals, cylinder bolts, clutch plates and the chain adjusters plus clean out the gunge the Indians use for engine oil. That shoves the price up though. The only problem I've had so far is with one of the kickstart mechs, I can't get it to seat far enough into the side casing, tried 2 other mechs and still the same. I removed the smaller of the 2 sleeves in the side casing and it then seats OK but not yet sussed out how to sort it as I need to put the sleeve back, need to check it against some others, hopefully it's just been positioned wrongly.
donlambretto

My SIL engine bought in January was quite OK, crank was perfect, no grit, C3 decent main bearings (but changed to euro-spec), big adn small- end bearings also renewed. Chain was slack.
But my engine had been put together in 2005, as there was a "2005" painted somewhere on the casings, marked with crayon.

A pity no more engines will be built. It's a huge error. I suppose they know waht they're doing.

cheers from Spain
Robert
Cheers from Spain
Robert
(in fleet reorganization)
lockman69

I’ve stripped 2x new Sil200 engines recently and over all they have been better than I was expecting, I stripped and rebuilt my own engine, crank, bearings chain ect before running it, however the second engine was ran straight from the create and suffered major crank failure/lock up within 560 miles and it hadn’t been run over 55mph

My mate was lucky not to have been killed when the crank failed, good job he wasn’t flat out in the outside lane.................so in my opinion if you are running a standard Sil crank Bloody good luck to you!

Ride safe
J1MS

lockman69 wrote:I’ve stripped 2x new Sil200 engines recently and over all they have been better than I was expecting, I stripped and rebuilt my own engine, crank, bearings chain ect before running it, however the second engine was ran straight from the create and suffered major crank failure/lock up within 560 miles and it hadn’t been run over 55mph

My mate was lucky not to have been killed when the crank failed, good job he wasn’t flat out in the outside lane.................so in my opinion if you are running a standard Sil crank Bloody good luck to you!

Ride safe
I think its the luck of the draw if you buy an SIL engine some are good and some aint so good.... But if you buy off a trusted dealer and hes checked it and replaced any suspect parts "As Corrado has done" then they make for a good engine.... It seems to be that if these are the last of them.... then whatever is left to build them even if its not that good could end up in there...
sdugg

When i got my new SIL engine i got all the seals and bearings changed before i put it in the bike.
Liverpool Scooter Club
Lambretta Club of Ireland
davidblythe

One of the lads travelling upto lincoln with us had a new sil engine on which the crank seized

good luck if you dont check it out
Ian Hepworth

One of our Italian suppliers offered us some 200 engines. We could buy them built up or in kit form (basically a box of bits).

The price was the same. I asked the supplier what could be inferred from that and he basically said that as far as he could work out the engines were being built by someone on £3 a week.
J1MS

Ian Hepworth wrote:One of our Italian suppliers offered us some 200 engines. We could buy them built up or in kit form (basically a box of bits).

The price was the same. I asked the supplier what could be inferred from that and he basically said that as far as he could work out the engines were being built by someone on £3 a week.
If that someone built mine, he was overpaid..!!
simplex

Live and learn
Bought one of these new for £650.00 back in March.. ran it in, changed chain/clutch.. done a few more miles, nothing under unreasonable stress.. Small end Bearing had shattered.. rollers were sitting loose in the crank and a couple had ping'd about.. all seals were shot etc.. have been forced to change all bearings & seals (back & front), chain, lay shaft (bent), crank, piston.. as well as the chain guides and a couple of clutches.. gears had loads of lateral movement as did the Crown wheel. now looks like £1500 for a Standard 200 ( now with quality internals)..

Selling as "New (original SIL) engines" not your backstreet knock offs, doesn't mean squit. Feel a little mugged off to be honest..

:(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information