Available Close Ratio 4 speed Gearboxes......

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
RICSPEED

thanks .. :D
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Wayne Miller
Main scooter: Vespa 50 Special (Rotax Proto)

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:....what's out there?

The AF close ratio gearboxes were cheap as chips @ £95 a pop....but no stock any more (anyone got one for sale?)

Then the CamLam Close ratio is a massive 10 x price jump at £950 and is out of my price range.....

So what else is available for close ratio boxes.....anything? Or a void in the market?

Interested to know, as I'm putting a sprint engine together over winter.... :D
Dont DRT make a selection of gears for Lambwettas ?
I use DRT stuff on my smallframe and its bullet proof even with those clutchless gear changes that Rich mentioned earlier in the thread.
Maybe its a tad expensive but if their Lammy stuff is on par with their smallframe stuff then its well worth the extra cost
Stay tuned..............
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Spoke to Martin at Chis today, he has emailed me a couple of good options. SX200 box with Li150 4th or SX200 box (1st & 2nd) with GP200 3rd & 4th. So I'm thinking about costs for that, and front sprocket/chain options to get final drive I want without making set off in 1st to painful.

Another question ref Pacemaker gearboxes this time......for those with experience using them on sprinters/racers/big BHP.....I've always used Indian GP200 and Italian Li150 boxes on most stuff, great all round gearboxes. But I have a Pacemaker box, the type with the 'stronger' 3rd gear......the ratios look OK, although i'd prefer the 19% drop from 3rd to 4th rather than 25% but hey-ho. Question is....are these any better or worse than other boxes for handling power/stripping teeth etc? I've not used the Pacemaker before, so would like to know......
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
RICSPEED

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:I've not used the Pacemaker before, so would like to know......
sell it ;)
RICSPEED

Wayne Miller wrote: Dont DRT make a selection of gears for Lambwettas ?
I use DRT stuff on my smallframe and its bullet proof even with those clutchless gear changes that Rich mentioned earlier in the thread.
Maybe its a tad expensive but if their Lammy stuff is on par with their smallframe stuff then its well worth the extra cost
have allreddy given dan the drt link ..but it sounds like the same options as offered by martin
drunkmunkey6969

RICSPEED wrote: have allreddy given dan the drt link ..but it sounds like the same options as offered by martin
Yes, I think so. However the price Martin quoted me was for the SX cluster with whichever option I want of 3rd/4th gears....but to supply an exchange SX cluster and use my own loose gears......but I don't have an SX box!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Looks like this is going to be a right pain in the arse...... :(
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
RICSPEED

well go for the li150 box for now .. besides on the 1/4 i was nearly at the marker before 4th anyway
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

I've broken two pacemaker boxes ... Both times first loose gear....... Both times during bump start (in 2nd) !!
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
drunkmunkey6969

paulmgreen wrote:I've broken two pacemaker boxes ... Both times first loose gear....... Both times during bump start (in 2nd) !!

OK, cheers.

Shame as the ratios aren't too bad. It'll be off on eBay for someone to use on a nice touring motor and not a gutsy sprint bike, and i'll put the dosh towards something else......
Tom Russell

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:Spoke to Martin at Chis today, he has emailed me a couple of good options. SX200 box with Li150 4th or SX200 box (1st & 2nd) with GP200 3rd & 4th. So I'm thinking about costs for that, and front sprocket/chain options to get final drive I want without making set off in 1st to painful.

Another question ref Pacemaker gearboxes this time......for those with experience using them on sprinters/racers/big BHP.....I've always used Indian GP200 and Italian Li150 boxes on most stuff, great all round gearboxes. But I have a Pacemaker box, the type with the 'stronger' 3rd gear......the ratios look OK, although i'd prefer the 19% drop from 3rd to 4th rather than 25% but hey-ho. Question is....are these any better or worse than other boxes for handling power/stripping teeth etc? I've not used the Pacemaker before, so would like to know......
Dan,

Can you give us an idea of the costs quoted by Chiselspeed for the close ratio gearboxes??

Also, I used the same Pacemaker gearbox (with 15 x 46, never changed for any circuit) in my Kegra/JB tuned 30bhp (first to hit this mark) Group 4 engine, when racing between 2003 to 2006, with no problems or breakages (4 whole seasons). This engine was very high revving (10k+ in 4th) and I thrashed the living daylights out of it the whole time (with a few Group and overall race wins)!! Maybe I was just lucky, but Phil Bevis was using the same setup at the time, and I don't recall him having any gearbox breakages at the time (lots of other things though :lol: )! I think if I was going to use one again, I would get it crack tested first, and maybe frozen as well.

Hope this helps :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information