t5 running lean

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Matt black
Dealer
Main scooter: vespa t5

got a standard t5 classic simonini exhaust been set up running well for couple year now but recently having problems with the scooter running lean. plug very pale cold ash colour and engine very hot even after a short journey suspect an air leak but ticks over fine. air screw
two and half turns out. is it possible for it to be drawing air in affecting plug but not tickover ?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Easy checks first, head leaking, plug tight, loose exhaust manifold, carb gasket leaking , fuel filters blocked, autolube faulty?
Matt black
Dealer

done all the above carb off new gaskets new fuel pipe as one on scooter had shrunk took it out today and still the same running very hot even after short 3to 4 mile ride and struggling up hills it just does not want to have throttle opened up !!! and plug still very grey colour but ticks over fine i sure it must be sucking air in but thought the tickover would be affected?
wack 63

Next ride,try with the choke out a bit and see what happens.
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

Matt, I think you are definately on the right track with the air leak. If you cant find anything else it might be the clutch side oil seal. Check the gear oil level. If it is empty fill it and see if it then smokes more than a pikey's truck! :D
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
coaster

Matt black wrote:done all the above carb off
I had a persistent problem with my Classic, it would run fine with just me but when the Mrs got on the back it wouldn't pull. Eventually found it was the rearmost carb mounting bolt. It was done up tight but the shank (unthreaded part) was bottoming out before it clamped the carb down. Ran fine after that, although I did change the carb to a new Spaco in the process.
Matt black
Dealer

everything seems in order checked gear oil already carb seated fine looks like a strip down over the winter thanks for the suggestions.
Matt black
Dealer

right got cracking on strip down everything out except the fly wheel side bearing! taken seal out and there is a lip which makes the outer race of the bearing impossible to get to and the inner collar is on the crank. can only get a drift onto the (barrel rollers) which is not enough to knock bearing out can anyone help on best way to get it out!
wack 63

Don't hammer the bearing out, heat the casing and it will fall out.
Matt black
Dealer

thanks for advice will try that when i get another gas bottle! not found anything obvious other than seals all very tough and brittle so hoping new seals will cure the running lean problem!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information