Helpful tips to help reduce insurance premiums

Who do YOU insure your scooter with, give recommendations and opinions...
Barry@Bikesure

So the biking season is nearly over but I thought I would impart some advice to you to refer to when next doing your insurance. These tips might not necessarily help everyone and they may not save you a ton of money every single time but they will help the majority of you, especially those with higher premiums.

1. Reduce mileage where possible – First of all, I am not saying that you should lie about your mileage to get a cheaper insurance. I have noticed that many people over-estimate their mileage 'just in case'. Usual discount brackets are at 1500, 3000 and 5000 although every company operates in different ways. If you do normally do 1200-2000 miles a year then put 2000 or 3000, don't say 5000 as the insurance companies won't recognise that you don't use the bike that often and you won't get the discount you deserve or expect.

2. Garaging – This is one of the main underwriting factors of an insurance policy. Where will the bike be kept when not in use? If you do have a shed that needs clearing out or you think you can squeeze your bike into the garage then do just that! You could be missing out on potentially huge savings. Be wary though as many companies will then require you to keep the bike in the shed/garage at the home address when not in use.

3. Security – Some companies will discount up to 30% or maybe even more if you can assure them that the bike is secure and won't be stolen. This counts for alarms, immobilisers, trackers, tagging devices, locks & chains and disc locks. If you don't know what lock you have, find out! You could be missing out on 25% discount just for knowing what make and 'model' disc lock you have.

4. Call the insurance company – Try and find a freephone number where possible and ring some companies up. I know that 70% of the time, we can get a client a cheaper price over the phone than online so if you do get a quote online, follow it up and see what we, or any other insurer can do.

5. Level of cover – So you do 1000 miles a year and the bike is barely touched and you are a confident rider.. Do you really need comprehensive? Third party fire and theft will still cover you for theft and can be a lot cheaper. It can't harm to have a look and if you are unsure as to what you are and are not covered for, follow tip number 4.

Finally, and possibly most importantly, don't lie about your details or deliberately mislead your insurer. The new Motorcycle Consumer Insurance Act does now put the onus on the insurance company to ask certain questions rather than the client to disclose 'material facts' to the insurer. However, if they do ask you a question and you deliberately lie, you may not be paid out in the event of a claim...

Barry
coaster

Cheers Barry, all helpful information 8-)
Muttley McLadd

Is it worth owning a bike that doesn't do 1000 miles a year?
CakeAndArseParty
warts
Main scooter: honda

That's two trips a week into town. Loads better than the 3hr each way walk. Dodging the sugar beet lorries.
I suppose could strap on a big plastic thing and paddle the dykes, might be pleasurable.

I prefer to do a bit of blatting, rather than no riding at all.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Muttley McLadd wrote:Is it worth owning a bike that doesn't do 1000 miles a year?

I think so...
Did you have to do that?
vRSG60
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125 Lambretta GP20

I've been on comparison sites, got a quote then changed the details to include differing security chains and it didn't make the slightest difference?
I get my kicks out on the floor.
thackers

Has anyone actually got insurance through Barry? Or at Bikesure? I found them to be the most expensive @ over £180 :o
Barry@Bikesure

vRSG60 wrote:I've been on comparison sites, got a quote then changed the details to include differing security chains and it didn't make the slightest difference?
Sometimes you will need to call to make this change as the comparison sites have certain security devices listed under different names than the insurers do on their systems. It's a bit daft I know...
Yanker

warts wrote:That's two trips a week into town. Loads better than the 3hr each way walk. Dodging the sugar beet lorries.
I suppose could strap on a big plastic thing and paddle the dykes, might be pleasurable.

I prefer to do a bit of blatting, rather than no riding at all.
f@@king Hilareous! LOL Thas proppa wettlans towq: Blatt ON Falla! Best Post I Have Seen On Scootererotica That Is! :D
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

thackers wrote:Has anyone actually got insurance through Barry? Or at Bikesure? I found them to be the most expensive @ over £180 :o
Dunno, never could get thru and never called me back.... :?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information