Shwalbe tyre direction

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
warts
Main scooter: honda

Motor cycles tyres are considerably different in size, compound, construction etc, front to rear, and not comparable to scooter fitment.
Bike tyres have to be capable of dealing with proper high speed and proper power and more weight and stress in general. Given their dedicated fitment, it could be that bike tyres are optimised for specific DoR, for the reasons you quoted.
It has been many years (possibly pre war?*) since anyone designed the same tyre for front and rear on a bike, so the issue MAB raised would never occur, even if the sizes were the same.
I don't think info which is not scooter specific is relevant in this case, its just too apples and oranges.

* Only exception I can think of was an Avon, for side car use. Safety Milage?
Maybe something from Tashkent or Novosibirsk? For the Ural, so maybe there is a tenuous connection after all. Family shopping cart, family farm implement.
Rich

The direction my Schwalbes went was mainly towards to local land fill about a year ago :|
Elite-225
Main scooter: GP 225

:lol: :lol: :lol: .. !!
RICSPEED

whers a like button when you need one :lol:
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
lambro

Sidewall instructions are just that.

As mentioned earlier, MOT fail if not followed.
They don't build a rotation in the wall just for a bit of fun, it is designed to run that way.

From the manual:

e. A tyre not fitted in accordance with the direction of rotation marked on the sidewall (see information column).

This is the info column bit:

Directional tyres these tyres must be fitted in accordance with the instructions on the sidewall. The direction of forward rotation is indicated by an arrow, words or both

Shaun.
warts
Main scooter: honda

My info came from the mouth of a guy who designed tyres for Dunlop. I was just pointing out there are solid technical reasons for with DoR at rear and against for the front. Because the forces applied are different at each end.
I guess the bureaucrats who come up with the sort of rules and regulations never bother speaking to the likes of him.
Maybe just the marketing departments?
Perhaps before long we'll only have have the tyres matched as a pair.

Obviously everyone must conform to C & U regs, MOT standards and ensure their machine is fully CE compliant.
MAB

Thanks for all the replies guys I think I will pay the major bike and vespa dealer a visit who fitted it as my MOT is due and she what happen's then if its a failure as they fitted it. ;)

Thanks again

By the way they are Racemans
coaster

If you read what it actually says on the side wall, the arrow says 'DRIVE', not Direction of Rotation which as Warts says applies to the direction that the stresses are driven in the tire. Therefore, yours are fitted correctly.

I agree with Riches comment though, from recent feedback, the local tip is the best place for them :(
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

quote. I agree with Riches comment though, from recent feedback, the local tip is the best place for them :(

there may be problems with weathermans but ive been using pacemans and racemans for the past 2 years and they are far the best tyres ive ever used for feel and grip .
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

dunlop tt91 gp race tyres were made by pt hung-a after they were made by ohtsu japan and were excellent ive noticed a few of the schwalbe tyres are made there as cast onto sidewall so expect them to be good others have just made in indonesia on sidewall be interesting to know if a pattern exists between the good ones and the failing ones
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information