Gasket sealant.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
shocky

NEVER USED A HEAD OR BASE GASKET on a lammy FOR 20 YRS i had to on the lml with 166 kit but the head on that had an "o" ring,
on a lammy i always get the head recessed to suit 1.3 mm squish so use gaskets to "set" this up then use clear silicone and being a window fitter has its advantages ............
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
warts
Main scooter: honda

Wasn't the red Hematite? They also did a nasty green hard set, which was the sign of a real bodge job.
At work we were allowed to use the Hylomar blue on water pumps only, everywhere else was light grease only . The Hylomar I had for years did indeed say on the tube developed for/by/with RR. But then there was no Trades Descriptions Act at the time.
CPH Lambretta
Main scooter: DL 150 1970

I use Three Bond, works well but stinks :x
Slow is the new fast!
cezeta

coaster wrote:Hylomar Red has been around for decades and sets hard, Hylomar Blue is the non-setting version developed I think for Rolls Royce. Neither are silicones though. I believe silicone was developed as part of the space shuttle development and both Hylomar products have been around longer than that. Hylomar do make silicone sealants though such as Hylomar 310 which is a high temp silicone.

I use Loctite High Performance Silicone which is black and works well on exhaust slip joints too.
cezeta wrote:
hydra wrote:....its like two stroke oil though, they all work....
Totally agree with that ;)
got me on a technicality there....hylomar is carbon based and scilicone is mineral but both used to create the same product with similar qualities. i dont think it makes much differance though. the locktite you use is similar to the wurth stuff, brilliant. ive repaired cracks in exhausts with it as a temperary fix

we have a dyson-hoover :?

the vespa does not use head gaskets i believe?
gaz_powell

My personal choice is if designed to use a gasket is to use one with a thin smear of the Stag Wellseal on head, base and casings
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

yamabond available from yamaha dealers pukka stuff, do not use general silicone sealent, its not heat resistant or petrol resistant
or this stuff which is similar
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycl ... ondabond-4
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I agree that household silicon is totally fine for the job, as I was told by an old racer many years ago. If you start to depend on the sealant to hold firm then you are already for it! The sealant is only there to provide a totally gas tight seal, the real work of sealing is done by the flatness of the mating surfaces. If you think for one minute that the sealant is going to form some sort of gasket then you're doomed to failure from the start.

Adam
cezeta

so are you saying adam that i cant make a 2mm silicone gasket and use it as a variable squish setting dialed in by the head bolts :shock:
CANbus

hydra wrote:I use Hylomar Blue, which is resistant to fuel. Silicone is not
I agree with this, amazing stuff, it even comes in a nice shade of blue.
11111111 = 0xFF
cezeta

out of curiosity has anyone had a bad reaction to silicon with fuel as i have not.....but i may have just not noticed. what am i looking for?

i used it on train drivers petrol tank as the threaded bit was snapping off of the tank and it got him round eurolambretta milan and back.

couple of years ago we had a stainless p2 downpipe snap while in france, we could only get an ark welder so sugarlump from the small frame forum welded it up but it leaked. we went to a diy store and bought a tube of diy silicone and sealed the dodgy welding by covering it with a layer of silicone. what was funny was (apart from the level of bodgery we had to use) was that it blew bubbles which increased and decreased with rpm. despite the bubbles, they never burst and it lasted long enough to get another pipe from popo at scooter world.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information