CYCLONE GEARBOX – BATCH 2 RECALL

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

CYCLONE GEARBOX – BATCH 2 RECALL : As some of you will already know, RLC has recently carried out a recall on the gearbox clusters from a particular batch sold primarily in the UK. It came to our attention that the second batch of Cyclone gearboxes sold in the UK after February 20th 2013 have a manufacturing fault that can possibly cause the pressed-on gears of the gear cluster to possibly crack. So far a handful of cases of this problem have surfaced. In most instances the rider simply loses drive in that particular gear, however if you continue to ride there is a chance that the gear can separate from the cluster and jam the gearbox.

The affected gear clusters are all marked with the following production code stamped on the bottom of the cluster :

408/2 13…

If your cluster has 408/2 ‘12’ then yours is NOT part of the batch being recalled. Note : the number ‘13’ (or ‘12’) is the year of production i.e. 13 = 2013.

We must stress that none of the earlier batches of Cyclone have demonstrated this problem and owners using those have nothing to be concerned about.

The problem stems from a change in specification made to increase the interference fit between the pressed-on cogs and the cluster shaft. Since being alerted to this issue we have had some Batch 2 clusters rebuilt to the original Batch 1 specification and these have endured extensive testing 2-up in a tuned TS1225 without problem. As such we are confident that this problem has been entirely solved by returning to the original specification. We are now doing final tests on these new clusters before sending them out to customers ASAP and we aim to send these out within 2 weeks.

At Rimini Lambretta Centre we take our responsibility to our customers very seriously which is why we took the unprecedented step of conducting a recall on the gear clusters from this batch. With customer safety in mind we recommend that anybody with a gearbox from that batch removes it from their scooter as soon as possible and we will supply a replacement cluster made to the original Batch 1 specification. For those who intend to attend the Euro Lambretta Jamboree in Avignon (France), please temporarily re-fit a 4 speed gearbox for the trip. We apologise for any inconvenience but it’s ‘safety first’.

Most people who have bought one of these Batch 2 gearboxes will have now been personally contacted either by us at RLC, or their supplying dealer. If you have bought a gearbox but still have NOT been contacted as of yet, please contact us directly at your soonest possible convenience. Also, if you know anyone who has bought a gearbox but hasn’t been contacted by us, please advise us so we can contact this person.

Our contact info is:

rlc@lambretta5speed.com or info@riminilambrettacentre.com

If you prefer, call us on: ++39 0541 947492 and we’ll call you right back. Again, if you have any uncertainties or questions, please contact us here at RLC directly. Cheers, Dean.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
RAP 200

My cyclone gearbox has a hole in the gear cluster for the early type clutch pressure plate, can anybody tell me if this is a v1 or did they carry this on to v2 as some dont seem to have this , i dont realy feel like pulling the gearbox out to check the numbers unless i have to , cheers Daz.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Probably a 2 as mine is a V1 and does not have the hole.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

Look on the bottom of the cluster
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

More top of the range expensive shite :|
Weston-scooterist
Main scooter: Lambretta LI150 Special

When I read this recall announcement my thought was, if only my customers in the 'real world of business' would accept this if I made a mistake, they are being expected to, drain gearbox, strip and remove gears, and repeat process, only in the scootering world.

Bearing in mind the cost if these kits and most have been sold in uk of the faulty batch, would it not be reasonable to expect RLC to set up a workshop session in the uk for customers to come and get the manufacturer to replace the part themselves, or am I being unreasonable. :?:

I would love one of these gearboxes for my lam my, however running a business in this recession means I can't afford one, obviously I am in the wrong business. :(
sydduckett

To be fair it looks as though RLC has done pretty much the right thing. I have one of the version 2,s so will have to wait for mine. By the by, im presuming we dont have to send the faulty clusters back to get a the replacment?
sydduckett

Just had a bounceback on this mail rlc@lambrtetta5speed.com anyone else have the same problem? Other one seems to work okay.
Ian Hepworth

Check spelling of the word Lambretta in the address.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Ian Hepworth wrote:Check spelling of the word Lambretta in the address.
amended, cheers.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information