PHBH Slides between 40 and 45

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Am I correct in assuming that you can't buy 41, 42 etc but it's normal to modify a 40 with a dremel to achieve the desired effect?
Angry Bloke

Thats what I'm just about to do Paul ,although as the difference between a 50 and 40 is only approx 1.2mm I was going to use a fine file to ensure the cutaway remains flat. :D
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
coaster

Is there any guide for how much to remove to achieve the different stages?
Angry Bloke

coaster wrote:Is there any guide for how much to remove to achieve the different stages?
Ive not seen one but I have a new 40 and 50 at home so was intending to measure and pro rata the results -

I will post the measurements when I get home ;)
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

storkfoot

That's the problem. You are dealing with a difference of 0.5mm from the base to the top of the arc. Therefore, it is 0.1mm you need to take off at the top of the arc to make it a 41. There isn't much scope for error!
coaster

storkfoot wrote:That's the problem. You are dealing with a difference of 0.5mm from the base to the top of the arc. Therefore, it is 0.1mm you need to take off at the top of the arc to make it a 41. There isn't much scope for error!
I don't know about a fine file, it sounds like a calloused finger would be rough enough.....some fine emery at least :?
Angry Bloke

It's less than I thought, the cut out on a 50 is 5mm and on a 40 its 4.1mm ;)

Lets say its a 1mm difference to allow some tolerance on my vernier

So presumably on a 45 its 4.5 , 42 =4.2 etc

As Colin says you could drag it across a 5 o'clock shadow and shave .1 mm off :D

I'll try some fine emery and see how it goes :)

warts
Main scooter: honda

When I was doing this with 36 PHF Del Orto's, I just turned a smidge off the bottom of the slide. This was dead easy and repeatable on a lathe with a digital read out. Which was just as well as I had two to do each time.
It was easy to detect the effect too.
Maybe the Del Orto manual has these dimensions, but I don't recall being aware of them when I was doing it.
storkfoot

Well about 10 or 15 passes with a small flat file, finished off with a very fine emery, and I have a noticeable leaning out of the flat spot I was trying to get rid of. Not completely gone but I am loathed to take any more off. With hindsight the original idea of a dremel would have been a disaster :-)
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I'd modify mine with a phone, card and call to a Dellorto dealer. As stated, there is little room for error.

Adam

PS - The irony being that I modify Dellorto needles by hand so really am in no place to make such a comment ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information