Varitronic vs BGM regulator, what's the difference?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Robi D

I run a varitronic ignition kit on my ser 1, I'm now hooking up my Speedhut GPS speedo (has to be run DC). I have a BGM regulator as a spare and am wondering which is best to use. So, my varitronic kit is running AC without a battery and is a very early test version of the kit. Whereas the BGM is a fairly recent bit of kit that boasts regulated current. The reaon this has all come about is that I was suggested to run a capacitor inline from the reg to the speedo, to smooth out the flow, and also to hold a small charge for the gps. But the BGM regulator sounds more like it is ideal for this sort of set up and even without the capacitor.
So, any suggestions as to which would be a better reg to use or are they pretty much the same?
Thanks
firekdp

Robi D wrote:So, any suggestions as to which would be a better reg to use or are they pretty much the same?
Thanks
Nothing modern about the bgm type regs, apart from marketing it for lambrettas, it's the most common type of reg fitted to most plastic scoots.
Vari, bgm, scootrs regs were all designed for the varitronic type stators, which is why you need to fit a link on the bgm when using with a ducati type stator (still waiting to here how the sense function works like this, even bgm couldn't explain it).
Use the vari, wired as intended for that stator. If you use a capacitor it will have to be in parallel to the load, not in line, as that will just block DC.
Robi D

Great, thanks. I would rather keep it as is and not mess with it, the vari reg stays then. As for the capacitor I'm not sure I need it. I'm going to try without for now and if I decide later I need it then I'll hook it up.
Cheers
firekdp

The output of all those regs is only half wave so without smoothing it will be rapidly turning on and off. With something like that I wouldn't be comfortable running it without a small battery.
camel

i tried to run a sat nav from my bgm regulator and it was very erratic,i ran a capcitor which solved this but i have since gone to a tiny 12v sealed battery so i can have power without the engine running
Robi D

Ok, so how do I wire in the capacitor? I'm not good with electrical. So it has to be run paralel. How do I do that?
Thanks
firekdp

Same as you would a battery, positive to the reg (+ve) output, negative to earth.
Robi D

So, a wire from reg to positive on the cap, to the speedo? And then just a ground wire from the neg on the cap to the chassis?
firekdp

Robi D wrote:So, a wire from reg to positive on the cap, to the speedo? And then just a ground wire from the neg on the cap to the chassis?
Yes.
Robi D

Ok, haha that's what I was considering "inline"! Maybe I'm not so bad at this!!! :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information