Cylinder packing plates

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Boreham
Main scooter: GP225

Does anyone have an 'idiots guide' to the advantages/ reasoning for fitting the packing plate at the base of the cylinder or at the head?
I am looking at a 60mm crank on a pinasco 177 kit, understood the need for the 1.5mm packer but on checking the options there is the std thicker base plate or a thicker head gasket (or even the MMW head machined for no additional head gasket)
Thoughts appreciated.
ducksta

put the kit together without the packer and see where the piston is compared to the ports then you will know either base or head
live life your a long time dead
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

I was told you also need to do a squish test, three strands of solder wire in a pyramid shape spanning the full diameter of the piston, turn the piston over by hand without the plug in. I think this is to make sure that the piston does not hit the cylinder head. I had a 1.5mm spacer on first then barrel and just to make sure i used a cardboard spacer 0.25mm between the head and barrel, but to be honest this is my first go at tuning a engine. Managed to port the casings myself to the Polini 180 kit, fairly easy job. In the winter I will port the carburettor. I hope this helps.
guygrrr
Main scooter: 1980 Vespa P187

Essentially, packing the cylinder will give power at higer rpm's, loosening up a few more horses. where as packing the head allows power at lower rpm's giving more torque and better acceleration.
----------------------
more can do, less doodoo.
Boreham
Main scooter: GP225

Cheers Guy, that was the info i needed, torquey tourer = thicker cylinder head gasket!
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

Another option also...
Try a 1mm base packer & 0.5mm head gasket.
1.5 - 2mm on head squish
Keeps it torquey & regains a decent top-end too :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information