BGM Engine Mounts

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tea5ive
Main scooter: cometa 140

CPH Lambretta wrote:Anyone else had problems with the new BGM engine mounts?
I fitted a pair to my GP while I was giving it a rebuild, I tried to fit the engine back in the frame today and its impossible. :x
The tubes (that the engine bolt goes through) that are molded into the rubber, stick too far inwards towards each other,so the space between the engine mounts is less than the width of the frame.
The only way i'm going to be able to get the engine in is to take a hacksaw to the engine mount tubes or fit some other engine mounts. When you look at the engine mounts from the outside you can see the tubes in the middle are kind of sunken in.
I am so f@@king tired of paying extra for what should be better quality parts only to find they don't fit :x

did you have big mounts in to start with ? , as there are two flavours of cones
CPH Lambretta
Main scooter: DL 150 1970

Yes big mounts and the correct cones
Slow is the new fast!
tea5ive
Main scooter: cometa 140

CPH Lambretta wrote:Yes big mounts and the correct cones

would fitting the other type of cones help ?
vespaloco
Main scooter: changes by the day

coaster wrote:The lack of quality control I agree with but the lack of R&D is something we will always have to endure. None of the Company's manufacturing Lambretta parts can afford extensive R&D, they just don't sell enough units to warrant it, the resulting hike in the price would have us all in uproar. The best you can hope for is that the part is tested for on the road for as long as possible before being offered for sale. It won't ever be subject to Yamaha/Honda style testing programmes.

That said, it sounds like the mounts have been manufactured out of tollerance and the seller needs to be contacted so that the situation can be remedied.
Its not about R&d Coaster.Im taking about something as simple as Lambretta brakes shoes.They rub when fitted.Thats not R&D that is somebody with a simple GO/NO Go gauge saying hang on the friction material is too thick.
Sprint headlamp rims have had to have a press tool made so FFS why not make it right.The tooling cost is the same.
The pipe i brought from Overseas !!! for a customers P200E it was nowhere near im talking one bracket 25mm out and the i couldnt get the manifold to fit inside the main pipe i spent hours with wet and dry to fit them together then find out is was only fit for bin or major rewelding.
Totally peed of with it at the moment and if you dare to try and write a letter to the scootering press they doctor it into an attack on Vietnam stuff .Everybody sells the same crap it just come in different bags with different prices.
Happy Easter
jason frost
Dealer

vespaloco wrote:
coaster wrote:The lack of quality control I agree with but the lack of R&D is something we will always have to endure. None of the Company's manufacturing Lambretta parts can afford extensive R&D, they just don't sell enough units to warrant it, the resulting hike in the price would have us all in uproar. The best you can hope for is that the part is tested for on the road for as long as possible before being offered for sale. It won't ever be subject to Yamaha/Honda style testing programmes.

That said, it sounds like the mounts have been manufactured out of tollerance and the seller needs to be contacted so that the situation can be remedied.
Its not about R&d Coaster.Im taking about something as simple as Lambretta brakes shoes.They rub when fitted.Thats not R&D that is somebody with a simple GO/NO Go gauge saying hang on the friction material is too thick.
Sprint headlamp rims have had to have a press tool made so FFS why not make it right.The tooling cost is the same.
The pipe i brought from Overseas !!! for a customers P200E it was nowhere near im talking one bracket 25mm out and the i couldnt get the manifold to fit inside the main pipe i spent hours with wet and dry to fit them together then find out is was only fit for bin or major rewelding.

Totally peed of with it at the moment and if you dare to try and write a letter to the scootering press they doctor it into an attack on Vietnam stuff .Everybody sells the same crap it just come in different bags with different prices.
Happy Easter

You need to get parts from people who build bikes. Most of my business is building engines and bikes, I know what fits and works and/or if they need anything doing to them before they are fitted,so I can tell you, having said that parts should fit but even NOS parts need some work.
coaster

I don't disagree with your point regarding stuff from the far east, I've recently had 'fitting' issues with a lambretta side casing that had the holes drilled wrong, a gear selector that need 10mm ground off part to allow it to turn and a 6 plate clutch assembly that was too tall to allow the side case to be fitted :roll: BUT part of that is my own fault, I KNOW there is a risk with stuff sold on ebay but like a lot of people I'm always looking for a bargain. Unfortunately, as the saying goes, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is :oops: I SHOULD have bought the side case and selector from Scooter Restorations as they only sell genuine SIL parts but would have been around double the price that I paid. With hindsight, the 8 - 10 hours fettling and trial fitting of the selector and the casing I could have well done without and will not be anxious to repeat. The clutch on the other hand was worth the money for the steels and friction discs alone so apart from some wasted time, I’m not so bothered. I wonder if a lot of the ‘junk’ parts are actually rejects sold out the backdoor of some of the bigger outfits?
jason frost
Dealer

coaster wrote: I SHOULD have bought the side case and selector from Scooter Restorations as they only sell genuine SIL parts but would have been around double the price that I paid.............. With hindsight, the 8 - 10 hours fettling and trial fitting of the selector and the casing I could have well done without and will not be anxious to repeat.
:D
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

jason frost wrote:You need to get parts from people who build bikes. Most of my business is building engines and bikes, I know what fits and works and/or if they need anything doing to them before they are fitted,so I can tell you, having said that parts should fit but even NOS parts need some work.

Tru dat, tru dat......
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

jason frost wrote: You need to get parts from people who build bikes.
They're marketed by MB.
jason frost
Dealer

And I fit them and so far they have been fine so I will sell them :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information