Cyclone 5 speed fitting problems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
carlos fandango

A friend has the gearbox and is having a few issues

He cant get the thinest gearbox shim to give acceptable tolerances with the end plate on, it still moves freely but it has less clearance thane the minimum recommended .

With the chain case on first gear and the kickstart shaft are touching .

Anyone else had a problem like this ?

With the end plate off, first gear does look to be sitting higher than 'normal' off the layshaft ?

Cheers Russ
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
cezeta

diablo knows about this. jf he doesnt answer the post then pm him.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Yep, Rimini are about to cover this in an 'assembly feedback' update.

It appears as though certain combinations of parts can give light to such issues. Indeed, I ended up using one of the thinner shims that Rimini sent out after the initial batch were posted, which resolved the shimming issue. The touching teeth on first and kickstart mechanism was resolved by me going through my spares and me making sure that I had a decent return pin, a decent return pin guide, and a piston (the bit with teeth) that had the threaded pin hole at the correct height (noting that my replacement piston had the pin hole in the wrong place!!!). Wear to any of these parts can be the cause of such problems, however, it does appear that the vast difference in parts from different sources (incl. factory items from different factories) can result in these issues.

Dean has had feedback from a number of people (incl. me) and is about to publish the issues noted and the solutions to them. I've little doubt that Dean will send you an email or point you in the direction of them on line (assumption on my part). Best thing is to drop Rimini Lambretta an email and get them to comment.

Thankfully, the range of shims that Rimini supplied and careful adjustment of the kick start mechanism sorted me out. Once these issues are addressed assembly should be complete and accurate.

I hope that you manage to resolve the issues. I'll be happy to help out where/if I can but best thing is to contact Rimini.

Adam
giankx

Same problems as yours. Solved by using a thinest shim (supplied by RLC) and an Italian kickstart shaft because the Indian that i had was a bit longer then the original. You could also grind by few mm the Indian one.
chez
Main scooter: li150 special

not sure this is the same problem but mine involved replacing the rear hub bearing which in turn put everything into the correct place to use recommended shim check all original parts for variation in height (bearing was poking to far through casing) hope this helps
carlos fandango

Thanks for the repiles fellas :) sounds like its a common problem.
He is on the thinest shim at the moment 1.2 ( i think) and i understand rimini are doing a 1mm shim, but that wont solve the kickstart issue.
Hes going to wait till Stuarts back in the new year, and get him to have a look.

Thanks again :)
Russ
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Rimini actually provide down to 0.8mm shim but you are quite right that the thinner you go with the shims then the closer loose 1st moves towards the kick start mechanism. Using factory Spanish casing, layshaft and endplate resulted in me needing to fit the 0.8mm shim to get alignment perfect and it was only when going to this thinnest of shims that I experienced the kick start teeth issue. As already stated, I resolved this issue by going through my spares and comparing components to offer me a better return of the toothed piston. However, Dean is compiling a list of options that individuals can apply to their specific build. Solving this issue should not be too difficult and can actually be cured by something as simple as fitting a thicker (or second) side casing gasket to move the kick start mechanism away that fraction further.

Adam
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I had slight issues although not with the 5 speed box- I whipped my chaincase cover off for an unrelated incident, and upon rebuilding had to use a cheap thin gasket which gave me a noise issue. Tracked it down to a combination of the K/S piston teeth just touching First gear (but not enough to "click") due to the thin gasket- fitted a beefier sidecase gasket and noise gone.

Worth a try IMO

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

I'm having a problem with the Kickstart plunger!!! It catches on the first gear, I'm going to rethink what I was going to do cos I dont think that will work! lol
I dont want to add extra gaskets to the crank case side so ill either extend the ramp or do something else
immylam

jezuuuuz , just ordered one and on waiting list for it to arrive in January, please start posting your stories of it fitting in really easily and with no problems whatsoever!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information