Bit of old school engine build

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Ketje

Just rebuild my engine. Wanted to do something different after building a Mugello, TS1, RB20, Rapido,....... I was tired building easy of the shelf kits and Eden's 240cc (wich whom I raced early this year ;-) ) inspired me to try this. I took my old casing from the TS1 and mounted an old SX200 cilinder. I had it boerd out to 70mm. The piston is a Mitaka. Exhaust port had been widened by 1mm an openend by 1mm and the polished. I use an MB 30mm inlet manifold and is matched to the cilinder. Inlet is cleaned up but not polished. Since the casing had opened transfers from the TS1 I opened a little the transfers in the cilinder to. The cilinderhead is a 70MM AF one wich I centerd to the cilinder and then doweled it to keep it center when mounting. Openings to the side of the pistonhave been matched to transfers. Carb is a Mikuni TMX30 and the exhaust is a (i think underestimated) JL KRP1. I'm not trying to make a race monster, just a nice old 225cc. Tommorow I'm going to star it up and keep you informed. Here's some pic's yet :-)
Mike.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

8-) I like; but wot carb and pipe ya fittin an wot clearence you got for ya piston
C’est la vie
Steve J
Main scooter: Lambretta GP200

Muppet wrote:8-) I like; but wot carb and pipe ya fittin an wot clearence you got for ya piston
I think he said something like:- " Carb is a Mikuni TMX30 and the exhaust is a (i think underestimated) JL KRP1."
Ron Moss recommends 3 thou (0.075mm) clearance with the Mitaka (Avanti) 70mm piston in an iron barrel.
Muppet

I dont read I just look at the pics,

muppet
C’est la vie
Ketje

Clearance is 0.08mm.

Mike.
Muppet

Ketje wrote:Clearance is 0.08mm.

Mike.
thankyou mike; ave ya got a hpc crank in it,
muppet
C’est la vie
Ketje

Yes Muppet, I got this italian, full circle, tungsten balanced crank in it. It already was with the TS1. After a lot of research and reading all kind of 2stroke tuning-books I discovered that it would not make that much difference. I hesitated a while to put a normal crank in again but this crank served me well for 5 years now so why change :) BTW, started it up this afternoon but with the carb still set for a 200cc. Since it's a 225cc now it's way to rich. I'll try to lean the carb down but only got 1 notch left on the needle and for a TMX 30 there are not that much needles available. If this doesn't work I'll change it to the old faithfull PHBH30 :D . Anyway, even with the carb too rich, it seems promising. I'll let you now my further progress.
Mike.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information