Clutch outer plate sits too high

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Astroboy
Main scooter: Lambretta GP 200

Can anyone advise if this clutch plate is sitting too high in the clutch basket? It's abolutley flush with the rim, and having misplaced my copy of Sticky's manual, I know he was banging on about it in there. Engine is a s1 case with innards from a GP 150 SIL.

http://s1326.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... s/library/

Here's the setup;
1) Ex-SIL crownwheel.
2) Uprated casa springs
3) Original S1 steel plates
4) Original S1 clutch flange
5) New inner clutch bell
6) GP clutch outer plate.

I reckon this last item might be my prob -maybe it's a thinner LI item. I'll pull it out an check, but any advice velkommen.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

You don't mention what cork plates you're using?

Check to see what all four measure across the set should be 14mm, more and you might have problems.

I've had a supposed surflex set that are 15.8 and it looked a lot like that.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Astroboy

New Sil plates -14mm across. Outer retaining plate is 2mm across. I have 2, both same width. I thought they were meant to be 2.5? ONe of the is from a Gp 150 , but as its been worked in the past probably not original
tarmac tickler

put another steel under your top plate,, hence forcing the clutch plate further down making it sit lower,, hey presto.. happy days
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

With either of the above two solutions just make sure you still get at least a 1mm gap with the clutch lever pulled fully in, if not you'll likely suffer from clutch drag.
Astroboy

Thanks for the replies, I'll find a 3mm plate for the job. Minority, where do you man a 1mm gap?

cheers
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

With the clutch pulled in the plates should have a minimum of 1mm free up/down movement.
a.lo.v2
Main scooter: sx 200

tarmac tickler wrote:put another steel under your top plate,, hence forcing the clutch plate further down making it sit lower,, hey presto.. happy days
is this a realistic proposition as i have this problem with a complete MB clutch were the top plate tang is only making about 50% contact with the outer bell. this will always be a problem regardless of how many plates as the as the inner spider/ circlip determines the height out of the basket. this is with a 3mm top plate so the thinner ones only make it worse. i had an vague memory of someone doing a 4mm top plate or a shim that pushes it down but searches have failed to find anything i realise the thicker it is will lose me the ability to add plates. the other option is a taller rear sprocket but which one?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

In your case carefully bend the tangs down a bit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information