6 volt to 12 volt conversion......

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
clockwork
Main scooter: gp 150 tuned

Thinking of converting my GP from 6 volt to 12 volt......what are the pros and cons ?...and is it a hard job?
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Lots of conversions, lots of ways to do this, what are you considering?
clockwork

Adam_Winstone wrote:Lots of conversions, lots of ways to do this, what are you considering?
Not clued up on this so hence the question....went to brid at the weekend and my lights were very poor ... so i was looking into led light boards bulbs etc i notice that there was not much around for 6volt systems ...
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

You can stick with 6v and have your flywheel remagetized to boost power output. Ensure that you have the correct wattage 6v bulbs (not 12v in tail!) and you should have reliable but not that bright lights.

From here the easiest conversion is to simply add a Vespa type regulator, which gives you a 6v in and 12v out system, meaning that you need to change all of your bulbs to 12v. Ideally you also fit a 12v LED rear bulb (standard fitting so straight swap for existing bulb), which means that you don't drain too much power away from lights when you put your foot on the brake. There are instructions on how to wire this up on various websites, incl. LCGB workshop pages.

12V electronic ignition conversion is your next choice, however, whilst these should be problem free when set up correctly, they do have issues and some people now regret taking off reliable 6v points kits, then running into problems with poor quality electronic components.

From this point forward there are many upgraded electronic conversions available, many of which have advance/retard ignition functions. However, unless you know what you are doing then the 'all singing. all dancing' systems are best fitted by dealers that can fit and set them up for you. Obviously there is a cost implication here and there is little point in fitting a Rolls Royce ignition to an old/tired engine (you don't state the condition of your current motor).

NB: If your current ignition is reliable and you simply want to upgrade the lighting to 12v then the Vespa regulator conversion + rear LED bulb is well worth considering. Do a Google search for it and I'm sure that you will find plenty of info. As already stated, there is a section on the LCGB site for this.

Best of luck,

Adam
clockwork

Adam_Winstone wrote:You can stick with 6v and have your flywheel remagetized to boost power output. Ensure that you have the correct wattage 6v bulbs (not 12v in tail!) and you should have reliable but not that bright lights.

From here the easiest conversion is to simply add a Vespa type regulator, which gives you a 6v in and 12v out system, meaning that you need to change all of your bulbs to 12v. Ideally you also fit a 12v LED rear bulb (standard fitting so straight swap for existing bulb), which means that you don't drain too much power away from lights when you put your foot on the brake. There are instructions on how to wire this up on various websites, incl. LCGB workshop pages.

12V electronic ignition conversion is your next choice, however, whilst these should be problem free when set up correctly, they do have issues and some people now regret taking off reliable 6v points kits, then running into problems with poor quality electronic components.

From this point forward there are many upgraded electronic conversions available, many of which have advance/retard ignition functions. However, unless you know what you are doing then the 'all singing. all dancing' systems are best fitted by dealers that can fit and set them up for you. Obviously there is a cost implication here and there is little point in fitting a Rolls Royce ignition to an old/tired engine (you don't state the condition of your current motor).

NB: If your current ignition is reliable and you simply want to upgrade the lighting to 12v then the Vespa regulator conversion + rear LED bulb is well worth considering. Do a Google search for it and I'm sure that you will find plenty of info. As already stated, there is a section on the LCGB site for this.

Best of luck,

Adam
Great advise as normal Adam had a few problems with my GP with the help of this website and stickys been able to work them out...thanks again John
firekdp

If you are going the simple vespa reg conversion and don't want to alter the loom:-
Simply change the AC junction box for a DC type, mount the regulator in a suitable position, connect one of the "G"s to a vacant slot in the JB and earth the reg. This should also give a bit more power than the standard way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information