Dragging clutch / weird scraping / petrol in gearbox oil

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mushroom
Main scooter: Motovespa P200E

Spanish '83 P200
Got a problem where if I'm sitting at the lights in 1st the scoot starts to creep
I end up having to knock it into neutral before it drags me off the line.
I changed the clutch cable to a genuine vespa one as the other one only had a few strands left, I also wanted to rule out stretching.
I've adjusted the cable to how it says in the manual and it's exactly the same.
Which would lead me to believe it's the clutch itself
If I start it up, leave it in neutral and pull the clutch lever in I get a scraping noise.
It's not the fan hitting the cover and I can't see any side to side movement in the crank
It makes a weird noise as the clutch bites too, like a groan

Then tonight I checked the level in the gearbox and it came pouring out like it had been overfilled
It was really thin and smelt of petrol too, so I'm guessing that's not a good sign

I'm guessing it's a seal gone and engine out job ?
nam65
Main scooter: t5

hi
sounds like the clutch side oil has gone thats the only way i know petrol will get in the gearbox
you will need to split the engine to replace, also look at replacing bearings when engine is split saves money in the long run.
you will prob need to change clutch plates now as well,check cond of crank etc at same time.
a lot easier to do this with engine out of frame.

hope this helps
mushroom

Thanks, sounds like a winter project
Would I do any damage continuing to ride it like that ?
santacama

nam65 wrote:hi
sounds like the clutch side oil has gone thats the only way i know petrol will get in the gearbox
you will need to split the engine to replace, also look at replacing bearings when engine is split saves money in the long run.
you will prob need to change clutch plates now as well,check cond of crank etc at same time.
a lot easier to do this with engine out of frame.

hope this helps
Yes, dont ride it. :flaming:
soupy

mushroom wrote:Thanks, sounds like a winter project
Would I do any damage continuing to ride it like that ?
hi.if you have got a leaking seal then you run the risk of holeing the piston as your petrol air mix will be wrong had the same thing happen to my 210 mallossi, also ignoring a noise wont make it go away i would nip it in the bud before it hits you in your wallet ,hope this helps
mushroom

righto thanks
looks like I'll stick the spare 125 and box in while I do it
mushroom

eden wrote:
mushroom wrote:Thanks, sounds like a winter project

:? :roll:
6 kids and not a whole lot of spare time, so it'll wait :)
goldeneye

probably on its original 30 year old clutch! by a complete new one for 46 quid from beedspeed. cruciform and oil seals/gaskets as a minimum while your in there as well. dont ride it. could be the cush drive plates coming loose, and ive seen some serious damage when they let go. it reall needs to come apart.
mushroom

goldeneye wrote:probably on its original 30 year old clutch! by a complete new one for 46 quid from beedspeed. cruciform and oil seals/gaskets as a minimum while your in there as well. dont ride it. could be the cush drive plates coming loose, and ive seen some serious damage when they let go. it reall needs to come apart.
Coming out at the weekend, spare one going in. While it's apart I may as well do the other stuff too
cheers
goldeneye

just stripped a P200 lump that i"m doing for myself (absolutley filthy it was as well!, but original and not messed with) the cosa clutch center is nacked, plates /springs need replacing, and the basket rivets are wobbly. instead of fookin about fixing it, its actually cheaper buying a new early style one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information