Schwalbe tyre has a bulge

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
grayspeed

MB group wrote:
gonzo wrote:Not sure what has happened to my tire but i have only done 2000 miles on it and it is knackered? it feels like a wobbly donkey when i ride it and there is a massive bulge in the corner of the tread/sidewall.

Anyone else had problems with this brand of tire?
Gonzo Have you contacted the dealer you bought it from?

I have tried, been emailing and ringing, but can't seem to get an answer.
Cornwall Scooter Parts
Beanhead
Main scooter: 1970 Lambretta gp

Speed Demon wrote:It would be interesting to find out where the bulged ones came from if you can let us know.

TBH I've been running Racemans for years with no problems on a high hp scoot so I am surprised to hear this. It should be noted that if you run under-inflated tyres at high speeds or loads then they will overheat and blister like this. Under-inflation causes head due to increased internal friction in the tyre as it flexes while rotating. The carcass can only take so much heat before it starts to fall apart.
I've seen it before where a manufacturer gets a good reputation with a very good quality product and then shifts production to a cheaper factory and it all goes to s**t: as mentioned when Michelin S1 shifted from Italy to Thailand they suddenly ceased to grip and no longer fitted the rims.
The same happened with some of the Contis which were fantastic when they were made in Taiwan and I've subsequently seen this exact same problem from once they shifted production to Indonesia.

had this with s1's myself,absolutely rubbish, the first set i had i liked the grip, then got some new ones and they were shocking!!
Facebook - Lee Bardsley

Vesperados S.C

Sent from my PC using My Fingers
tj hooker
Main scooter: jet 200

iv just taken the rear wheel off my lambretta and noticed the paceman has 3 bulges starting to appear. im gutted cos they aint been on 6 months and only done 160 miles. the s1's on my vespa are 9 years old an about 2000 miles and are perfect.
phil23fair
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 250 Special

I had the same thing last year with a Contitwist tyre that had only done about 500 miles. It was bulging on the side wall/tread interface.
Beanhead
Main scooter: 1970 Lambretta gp

so,we need to be checking tyre pressures on a regular basis,as said before,if a tyre is under inflated,heat builds up in the carcass,could this be the problem that folks are having?

i can say that when i transfered to af tubeless rims, the dealer had fitted the tyres (conti navs) and you would assume that being a reputable dealer that the pressures would be ok, well they got fitted, excitment from me, didnt check the pressure, next morning, rear flat!!
how happy i was, stood next to my scoot with nearly 200 quids worth of wheels n tyres fitted to find that one was flat!
re inflated, to a high pressure then let down to correct pressure...........now bang on!

could only have been the tyre bead not fitting correctly on the rim.

check yer pressures!
Facebook - Lee Bardsley

Vesperados S.C

Sent from my PC using My Fingers
mnpes

When I initially commented on Schwalbes ~ Got Slagged Off from all sides :?

My comments come from someone who rides 7 days a week all year round

"Listen"

They are not posted for fun just genuine comments
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

You do realize that Schwalbes are made in Indonesia. They used to be made in Germany.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Interestingly enough, I was given one of these (Roadman) by a pal who thought it would not look quite so racy. Understanding them to be a good tyre (speed rating, etc.) I fitted mine prior to my Brittany/Begium trip last year. With commuter use too I noted that it was time to replace it and I've noted that there are a couple of thin areas that have bulged in a manner that I've not seen on any tyre other than a cheapo Indian race tyre that I had many years ago.

Whilst this tyre did not fail, the bulges that have formed, which feel very thin walled if you press them with your finger, does not fill me with much confidence. Handling was fine but I will not be buying these for my use (NB: my opinion and I have every right to it).

Adam
soupy

What air pressure should you run these at -
A/ what the manufacturer of the scooter ie lambretta / vespa states in the hand book for the model fitted.
B/ what the tyre manufacturer states for the particular model fitted .
C/ a lad that i know puts more air in than the hand book states because he said they are tubless tyres on ally rims and that the side walls are more stiffer ,tbh i havnt seen any tyre pressure figures for these and go on the the basis of the hand book ,cheers soupy
Speed Demon
Dealer

If any of you still have Schwalbe tyres with bulges then Schwalbe would like to see them. See email below.
it is impossible to give a reliable statement without having checked the affected tires. Would you please let us have the contact details of the scooterist, so we are able to pic up the tires to get an idea about the cause of the defects.

Thanks for your efforts in advance.

Best regards

Marcus Lambertz
Product Management

SCHWALBE - Ralf Bohle GmbH
Otto-Hahn-Straße 1
51580 Reichshof
GERMANY
Tel. +49 2265 109-28
Fax +49 2265 109-68
m.lambertz@schwalbe.com
I suggest any of you with problem tyres should email Marcus and arrange to have them collected from you. If you have been affected then please make the effort to get in touch because it is in everyone's interest that this issue is resolved.
Get to SULK
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information