T5 won't start!

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
onefortheroad
Main scooter: Li125 series 2

I've recently acquired a T5 to use for a year from a friend who's going away travelling but now it won't start!

It kicked off when I went to pick it up then died and wouldn't start till I replaced the plug with a new one. Once running I set off and 50 yards down the road it cut out and died. Luckily it started first kick and ran fine after that.

I ran the scoot for a few days Without a problem and took it to a local garage to have one of the exhaust studs removed that was snapped. We had the scoot on it's side to do the work and stood it up and it kicked off first go without a problem. I rid it out of the garage and again 50 yards up the road it cut out- now will not start at all.

It's been stood a long time so I drained the petrol tank as the petrol smelt off and replaced with fresh. We have tried 4 plugs- Plugs seem wet when removed and we have tried a new suppressor cap. Has a strong spark when plug removed and tested against something metal.

Carb is getting fuel and I've removed the green wire to eliminate an electrical fault. Blown through jets with air and petrol but still won't kick off. At first I thought it was flooded as it was behaving like it was but now I'm not so sure.

Next step is a full carb strip and rebuild.

Any ideas?
Svint1

Is there a spark?
-if so, what colour is it?

It sounds like it is a el-problem.
Maybe the pick-up or the CDI...

But start with the spark.
President of Roughnecks Scooterclub

http://www.Roughnecks.no

1965 Vespa SS180 (218)
1971 Vespa 90 Racer
1986 Vespa PX250 (250 Rotax on CNC casings)
1987 Vespa PX210 with Cozy Sidecar
onefortheroad

Yeah there seems to be a strong light blue spark- gave me a shock when I held it against screws and kicked it off to check spark.

I'm wondering if something's stopping the petrol getting from the carb to the spark although the plug seems wet when removed?
ant

I had a similar problem with an LML 125 - turned out to be a blockage in the fuel pipe where it entered the carb. It wasn't blocked completely so it could fill the carb float bowl but not quick enough when running. After a few minutes would start again and then cut out again once float bowl emptied. Cleaned some grey paste gunk from end of petrol pipe and not had a problem since.
slowtype
Main scooter: PX200

could you have damaged the cylinder head when doing the work ?
Causing air to be dragged into the barrel ?
This would behave as though there is no choke being used and cause difficult starts
on top of poor running if you did get it started.
onefortheroad

I don't think there is any damage- I can't see anything. Just doesn't want to start even when bumped.

Gonna try cleaning carb and tank and then go from there. I will take the head cowl off as well and have a look at the cylinder too.
onefortheroad

Stripped carb and cleaned fuel lines out and fuel was getting through no problem.

Stripped and looked at the top end- looks like rings have welded onto the piston! Because it's been stood so long I think the autolube has seized and in turn f#cked up the piston. Compression seems low.

Here we go again...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information