Varitronic DC And Lights

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soulsurfer

Does anyone know what the DC output is in amps that's achieved from the Varitronic ignition system? Also, has the crap lights issue been sorted?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I guess you should take that as a NO then :) As far as I know the DC is just enough to charge a battery(mine powers an Acewell speedo) and even with a LCD rear bulb the headlight is poor at low revs.The system only kicks out full power at high revs which is no good on a twisty road at night :roll:
mark

sold mine and went dc for the same reason as above
red ghost
Xbox live gamer tag: Pleasure Master
Main scooter: lambretta gp150

What contolls that, poor lights at low revs and betters lights at high revs? If a regular electronic kit provides better lighting at low revs, then can't the varitronic kit be modified?
How come phonetics isn't spelt with an 'f'?

Check out my boobs! <-- <--Just imagine being burried between those puppies!
J1MS

red ghost wrote:What contolls that, poor lights at low revs and betters lights at high revs? If a regular electronic kit provides better lighting at low revs, then can't the varitronic kit be modified?
I'm not certain which engine the variatronic stator originates from but my guess is it's from an auto which would mean the scooter is at fairly high revs most of the time, and the variator taking care of speeds as the engine is loaded.

If this is correct, then having a high number of windings on the lighting coils is not needed, when fitted to an auto
but fit this to a lambretta, which is a geared scooter and the revs will rise and fall causing low voltages at lower revs.
A possible cure would be more windings on each coil which would raise the voltages from lower revs which should increase the brightness of the bulbs and increase the dc charge rate to the battery.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Yes it must be the stator as I use the regulators with Ducati/Indian systems and the lights are fine at any rev,even giving a beam at tick over.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information