Paint disaster

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
sydduckett

Can anyone reccomend a good sealer that i can apply to prepped panels prior to spraying the base coat. First time out the base coat has had some sort of reaction to the primer/high build and now has a "crazed" sort of finish, it has also lifted and blistered in places. I didnt spary them myself so dont know wether he simply forgot to panel wipe them or somthing like that? Im going to have to rub it all down and re high build it, but want to then seal it prior to adding the base coat.

Has anyone got any reccomendations, ideally id like a rattle can jobee.

Cheers
Sef
sydduckett

Anyone........ :(
sean brady scooters
Dealer

theres a product called "Barcoat"...I,ll have a look around as i,m sure i have a tin of it somewhere then can probably give you more details about it.
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
sean brady scooters
Dealer

found it .
BARCOAT is made by U.POL, its a quick drying Isolator /sealer.
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
lamblast

ive used barcoat its spot on just dont sand it
sydduckett

lamblast wrote:ive used barcoat its spot on just dont sand it
Does it come in a rattle can or do you have to put it through a gun? I presume its a case of finishing the prep, high-build then panel wipe, tack rag and applying the sealer?

Ta
sef
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

Another vote for Barcoat, although it is a last resort, not a get out of jail.

If you are looking to do a decent job, you are better off removing the problem paint, and starting again. The Barcoat will form the barrier you are looking for, but that doesn’t mean you won’t have adhesion problems etc from underneath it at a later date.

I don't think it comes in rattle cans, as it's a pretty viscous, sludgy paint.
sydduckett

GBCS wrote:Another vote for Barcoat, although it is a last resort, not a get out of jail.

If you are looking to do a decent job, you are better off removing the problem paint, and starting again. The Barcoat will form the barrier you are looking for, but that doesn’t mean you won’t have adhesion problems etc from underneath it at a later date.

I don't think it comes in rattle cans, as it's a pretty viscous, sludgy paint.
How do you apply it to the metal work after priming. obviosly i want to get a nice finish as i cant sand it after application...?
coaster

Syd, I'd be inclined to use it to seal the coats you already have and THEN put ther primer on, you shouldn't be putting top coat straight onto the sealer.

Having said that, are you sure the primer used was compatible with the top coat? was it from a rattle can? sometimes the one's form DIY stores are for enamel type decorating finish.
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

Coaster is bang on !

Once the barcoat cures, you treat is as the bare substrate, you then have to apply a primer, colour, clear etc. as you normally would, flatting as you go.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information