RT195/30mm PHBH/BGM clubman set up.

Check here for a list of various carb set-ups to help with jetting and all aspects of carb trickery!
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

RT195/60x110 crank/BGM clubman/30mm PHBH. BGM ignition 17deg by strobe, no advance retard set up.
Port timings set up as per MB advice (piston level with lower edge of transfer of transfer port at BDC)
Using a flip choke set up to ensure the choke is opening and closing correctly and not affecting the rest of the jetting.

Start point set up ( combination of advice from BGM tech notes and the guy who built my engine)
Pilot 55
Choke 70
Main 125
Needle X2 2nd clip down from top
Atomiser AV266
Slide. 40
Float. 3.5

dialled in the air screw, it now starts well and ticks over nicely
It pulls away fine and from about 1/4 throttle fells juddery and lumpy ( which I diagnosed as too rich)

First iteration
Needle X2 raised clip to the top (lowers the needle to weaken the mix)
All other jets remain the same
That cleaned it up nicely and it now Picks up to above 1/2 throttle.

Next step is a good run to move it fully up and down the gears, check out the main jet and get a plug colour.

Final set up Advice from others who have set up this combination would be helpful as it would give me a target to aim at and identify possible issues if they are way outside the ballpark.
jason frost
Dealer

Try a X7 needle and a 120 main to start and come down from there
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

I have built two rt195 before Christmas and the same set up as yours apart from road race cranks 58x107 and x13 2nd clip that was set up on dyno by dan but as we no two rebuilds are never the same
Meds

Thanks for the help gents.
Meds

Finally got there
Start point set up ( combination of advice from BGM tech notes and the guy who built my engine)
Pilot 55
Choke 70
Main 125
Needle X2 2nd clip down from top
Atomiser AV266
Slide. 40
Float. 3.5

Changed down to an X7 needle, top clip, cleaned up a bit but boggy as hell ( felt like the choke was on ) at 1/4 throttle
Went down 55-53 and ended up at 50 pilot jet which cleaned it up till about 1/2 throttle.
Then went up and down the needle clip, as soon as I went to 2nd clip down it felt worse.
Changed the main jet to a 123 which didn't make any difference.
At that point I knew there wasn't anything else wrong with the scoot but didn't have enough confidence to trust my own limited experience to set the carb, went and had it dyno'd
As it stood 16 hp GPS at 63 mph

Final settings
Pilot 50
Choke 70
Main 118
Needle X7 top clip
Atomiser AV264
Slide. 40
Float. 3.5
It's still a little rich towards the top, been advised that possibly an x10 needle would help and a 116 main jet.
But just shy of 18 hp, wife clocked me in the car at 75,
Pretty happy with that.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Just digging this one back up: how did you get on with these settings in the end have you kept them the same? The av264 + x7 on top clip seems very lean to me.
Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

I have a new type piston (as supplied by SCK) and it still runs well.
It’s done a quite a few rally’s with varying degrees of riding from fast mile munching to the Cumbrian six passes (slow speed hill climbing) and it still pretty good.
It’s my scoot of choice for anything with hills and twisty’s

I probably should have said it was set up by PM tuning on their Dyno
Scooterdude

Yes they are excellent kits, built a couple for friends and have the big block version myself.
Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

How did you get on with the big block?
I’ve a Rapido at the moment and considering changing it for a TS1
But I’m open to other options.
I havent really considered the 225 kit as I will end up with 2 bike with the same characteristics.
Scooterdude

It’s lovely mate, running the reed conversion on it and its so smooth and powerful only running it in at the moment. The plan is to do some serious touring this summer so i think I’ve made the right choice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information