jetting mid range phbh, still lean

Check here for a list of various carb set-ups to help with jetting and all aspects of carb trickery!
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

hi all,
running home tuned suzuki 195, 60mm crank, jl3, 28mm phbh reedspeed cdi. timing advanced knocking back to 17 degrees at 4k rpm. i believe when advanced its at about 23 degrees, will have to recheck which setting im on.
either way, its a bit of a peaky set up which is proving hard to jet in.
currently running 50 pilot,40 slide, av266 with x13 1st clip, 128 mj.
im still running lean in mid range once in the powerband.
i was running x7 needle, couldnt get it past the 2nd clip without it being a pain to ride, and with x13 on 2nd clip its the same, you have to really roll on the throttle as out of the power its boggy.
Im gonna try 2nd clip again tomorrow and drop the main jet, just to see if main is too rich and messing up my mid range.

whats the best way to get the clip position right? i know you can remove main jet, but surely that makes it really rich? or is this wrong due to the jet itself creating greater velocity during venturi?

or is the answer really that this is something i may just have to put up with?

cheers all!
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

found this so will try removing main jet: 'The many scooters that ive had to rejet with blown engines are quite often weak on the needle/needlejet and it can be that weak that it dosnt make any differance as to what mainjet you put in, as the mainjet has to run through the needle/needlejet.  My brother back in the early eighties, built a water cooled small framed Vespa. A steel lined aluminium barrel & 2 piece billet head, Water in through the barrel and out of the head then through a thermostaticly controlled electric pump to a radiator. He was convinced he had a problem with the cooling system as he had jetted up the 26mm Power jetted Amal on the mainjet by five sizes then blanked off the powerjet and up jetted again , and convinced himself it was rich and could not be getting hot because of it being weak...I helped him with an old trick that the racers used to use Prior to Dyno's....I Took the mainjet out lifted the needle to its richest position then fired the scoot up. With no mainjet It ran exactly as it had with the mainjet fitted, this was because the needle and needlejet were restricting the flow of fuel from the mainjet, he'd had a 106 needle jet in so we fitted a 108 that was far too rich, much over 1/4 throttle it cut out, we then fitted a 107, better just under half throttle bogged down not perfect. so we adjusted the needle down one notch, it now ran to near half throttle then bogged down, now put the same mainjet back in, still rich. Three sizes down from where he had started and the jetting was getting better, un-blanked the powerjet (before anyone says they dont make a 26 Amal with a powerjet.. I know, but my brother made it run a powerjet and also made his own chromed brass slides for it as well as making lots of other one offs for this scooter) after about three hours work, it was no longer over heating and we had actually down jetted the mainjet, but now it was metering more fuel from half throttle upwards because of the needle and needle jet and had cured the overheating....'
li150ss2011
Main scooter: li150silver special

did this work, I tried it but still got lean running in midrange when I put main jet back in, tried upping main a few times till it started bogging down but still reading lean on plug mid throttle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information