Mikuni 35 TMX Issues at 1/4 Throttle

Check here for a list of various carb set-ups to help with jetting and all aspects of carb trickery!
sharkman

Hi looking for help with the above. Running a TS1 230 and in 1st quarter throttle if splutters quite badly but then clears and takes off like a scolded cat making it very hard to ride in town. I was told it is because the atomiser is worn but can't be changed as it is part of the carb body unlike a dellorto.

Has anyone else had this issue as I would hate to replace it and find no difference.

Cheers
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

Hi, sorry only just seen this. I had the very same and from what I have been told, especially when the carb is worn, this is the norm with a lot of exhausts. Jet it so it's more rideable and you get a lean spot in mid range which can be fatal if held for any length of time. Mine's with a Supertourer. I gradually improved mine by dropping the 56 ( rich needle) to the top clip, then changing to a 58 (weaker needle) on the middle clip and then dropping it to 2nd from top. This made it very much more rideable in first quarter throttle but it was always in the back of my mind that I may have had a weak spot so changed it for a 30mm PHBH which I am more familiar with and easier to jet up, having changeable atomiser and needle jet.

Hope this helps,

Rich'
eden
Dealer

ye ive had the atomiser ware out of a tmx35 in just 18 months. their shite for mile munching unless you don't mind buying a new carb every year. they are ok though if you don't do many miles a year.
stopped using tmx's 5 or 6 years ago for this very reason.
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

eden wrote:ye ive had the atomiser ware out of a tmx35 in just 18 months. their shite for mile munching unless you don't mind buying a new carb every year. they are ok though if you don't do many miles a year.
stopped using tmx's 5 or 6 years ago for this very reason.
The slide looked very worn on mine too!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information