Ram air filter advice

Check here for a list of various carb set-ups to help with jetting and all aspects of carb trickery!
retrorich
Main scooter: sx200 1966

Currently running Muggy 225-fast road tune with 30mmphbh, JL3. It has always been fitted with ram air filter. Due a filter change. I hear that LTH foam filters are better. Never used them but think that the ram air foam filter does struggle to get air in enough because it is positioned between filter box and petrol tank. Is there a better alternative?
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

Why would it struggle to get air in? Have you got the air scoop fitted under your seat?
Angry Bloke

I'm running a Marchand filter on an Avanti ,which seems OK but was wondering if there is any thing better out there so Ill watch this thread with interest :D
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
retrorich

Yes I have a baffleless airscoop. I think the point I am trying to make regarding air intake is that these filters lose there effectiveness in a short space of time and the foam seems to harden. The scoot is running rich and probably needs a change of foam anyway. At £30 a pop these are not cheap. If there is a better alternative I am interested in what anyone thinks. The scoot covers around 2k miles a year and I would expect to get more serviceable use out of a filter than having to replace each year.
cezeta

best flowing filter is the breath sweet from cam lam. proven on the dyno on my bike to have pretty much no negative effect on power over a open carb. the others we tried had a huge effect and needed re jetting to suit.

you may need to fit a coil of coat hanger wire inside to stop it flattening though as they soften with age and heat and can close up
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... Exactly as Cezeta says. I now only use my larger remote RamAir filter on a standard iron 175, whereas I'd only use my smaller RamAir on a 125/150, even though it was supplied by a well-known dealer/tuner for 200cc use. The restriction posed by the filter was staggering, going bigger helped but going to Breathe Sweet was different again :)

The only issue is that I've not been happy with the fit/space of the hose that comes with the Breathe Sweet so have used them with standard air hoses.

Adam
Angry Bloke

Sorry to hijack Retrorich but ,Adam do you think I could fit a Breathe Sweet in here ?

Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Not upright but you might manage one back towards the rear strut.... might.
retrorich

Thanks guys. Just one more daft question. Given that I cover 2k miles on this scoot, when should I expect to have to change the foam filter? I think less than a years use and approx 2k miles covered is a poor return. Surely they are good for longer.
Angry Bloke

retrorich wrote:Thanks guys. Just one more daft question. Given that I cover 2k miles on this scoot, when should I expect to have to change the foam filter? I think less than a years use and approx 2k miles covered is a poor return. Surely they are good for longer.
It should be ok - I would just give it a clean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information