Delortto PHBH X needles

Check here for a list of various carb set-ups to help with jetting and all aspects of carb trickery!
drunkmunkey6969
ebay user ID: sc00terotica
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Not on your setup. I’d just go with the tried n tested 30mm PHBH

Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:11 pm

what feels like a carb issue could be something thats not
im not a complete idiot
s me of the piec s are mis i g

Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Muppet wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:11 pm
what feels like a carb issue could be something thats not
Yes im thinking this, but what i wonder?

Scooterdude

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:40 am

All booked in with Mark Broadhurst on Friday to get it sorted once and for all. Mark seems to think there’s a fuel starvation issue somewhere from what ive told him so we will see.

Scooterdude

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:05 am

Update on this: went to MB he checked fuel flow from tank, from carb, from fuel valve etc seemed fine. He checked the timing with a strobe which was bang on. One thing he did comment on was my choice of 25:1 or 4% fuel oil mix, said it was very viscous which I would have to agree with him on so will now change to 32:1 or 3%.

Ran it up on his dyno with something like a 145 main jet in ran clean which was a bit strange so he took the filter off and reduced the main jet to a 138 this time it spluttered when it went onto the main, so after all that it was the bloody filter making it run lean, i only really fitted it to stop the spit back from the carb which is horrendous despite being a reed valve motor, he seems to think the executive spit back stems from the pilot jet which is a 58 so I’ll be experimenting with smaller pilot jets.

If anyone has any other ideas on combatting the spit back fire away. I had considered it was because the cylinder has been turned but i dont really know and in any case its only a touring tune rather than a full race tune.

drunkmunkey6969

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:28 am

You’ve been for a dyno, and you still have to experiment with pilot jets?

Did Mark not set the whole carb up?

Scooterdude

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:27 am

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:28 am
You’ve been for a dyno, and you still have to experiment with pilot jets?

Did Mark not set the whole carb up?
in all honesty i dont know why but no he didn’t, the last dyno i had i dropped a load of money on it and came away with a scooter that ran like a bag of shite and ended up setting it up myself. Harry Barlow told me one time “you cant set a scooter up on a dyno” guess he’s right.

drunkmunkey6969

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:23 am

Can't speak for others but my approach has always been:

Scooter in, I dyno test, if results are OK, I inform the customer, they then have peace of mind, pay and leave.

If results of dyno show problems, I inform the customer, and make suggestions as to what I think the problem might be (jetting and/or mechanical).

If approved, I then proceed to investigate further and remedy the situation - the goal being to provide the customer with information, options, and hopefully..a more complete/mechanically sound scooter than they arrived with.

If it was just a jetting problem, I'd reset the whole carb to whatever jetting the situation commanded. If for whatever reason I couldn't complete the job 'in full', then I'd be reluctant to start it in the first place...unless there was a very good reason to do so or some sort of agreement with the customer - but that would be made clear at the time.

On the rare occasion a customer goes away, and at the time everyone is happy, but later something is found to be 'not 100% spot on' - then the best thing the customer can do, is come back and talk to me about it - I don't think I've ever turned anyone away or refused to look at the situation again.

I'd have to disagree with Harry on his statement, but I'm bound to...i own a dyno.

Hope you get your problem sorted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information