Piston

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Hotdog

What brand are Pro Porting Vespa pistons ? Thanks
gaz_powell

I'm not sure about his Vespa pistons but I know his TS1 Lambretta piston were done through Grampian (Mitaka).
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Hi

Ring Harry and ask him he’s a pretty affable chap.
Hotdog

Ok thanks, I’m going to have a look at the grand sport pistons as I’ve heard only good things said about them.
brynt
Main scooter: Vespa125TS

Is it one of these that you have?

https://www.lambretta-teile.de/Piston-6 ... 7-standard

I have one and am planning to bore a standard barrel out to use it. I'm not sure what to do with the head though....
Hotdog

That’s what I was thinking of using, had a brief conversation with a lady from Chiselspeed about it, but didn’t know anything them but they mentioned the grand sport pistons. That’s why I was trying to find out what sort of quality they are.
brynt
Main scooter: Vespa125TS

I don't have the piston to hand but as far as I can remember it look pretty good, it looked like you could modify it a little, and the top ring gives enough room to use a 60mm crank if you wanted, unlike the original Polini piston.

The sale price at LTH makes them 66 euro's cheaper than the GS pistons. I've just checked their site and they only have the 1 oversize in stoke. I suppose you could get one else where but may cost more.

https://www.grand-sport.de/Piston-kit-G ... 80-690mm_3

I was going use it with a standard barrel and follow the tuning article from Scootering: November 2009 (I think this was Harry Barlow...)

Did you talk to Harry?
gaz_powell

Harry B wouldn't use/produce shite, I'd be happy to use it.
Having seen the link they look decent, thin rings and nicely ported - this is how HB modified them in his P2 tune. They are are a copy of the Autisa kit pistons but with thin rings.

GS pistons are made my Meteor for SIP
Hotdog

No not had the chance to speak to Harry yet.
Gaz would the barrel have to be ported to match the piston ?
gaz_powell

The HB piston would go straight in a P2 barrel (after boring to suit) and run perfectly.
To get the best yes the barrel would need a tweek.
Give Harry a ring, his P2 tune is relatively cheap, only problem is not easy to get hold of.
Its worth having it done as it transforms a stick P2 and with the decent box pipes on the market, you get a P2 with a pair of balls !

If you can't get in touch with HB there's a chap near me who does the same tune.

Ive ran various states of tunes on standard barrels and done high mileage. Never had the need for kits. Never had any issues and back then was using standard thick ring pistons.
For a long time now I've used Autisa steel lined Ali barrels, you can't get them anymore ( so I've collected a few now !) Ive just had a rebore done on my Chiselspeed tuned Autisa and swapped a SIP 2 for a 3.
I'm liking it on early tests......

Gaz
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information