Vespa clutch castle nut ☹️

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Cootscoot
Main scooter: TV200

Hi folks I’m after a tip or trick to get the dreaded clutch castle nut off without the special adapter socket ?
Thanks
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

The old Haynes manual used to show a ground down socket probably about 15 - 17 mm with two pegs
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Cootscoot

Thanks for the reply , I’ll give the socket a try !
gaz_powell

By the time you take a socket, arse on doing the modifying it will cheaper and easier to get the tool.
You maybe able to knock it round with a punch, but you'll obviously need to hold the clutch (either a clutch holding tool or piston out and lock the conrod with....the correct tool or a carefully positioned bar through)
Once its out if your rebuilding it, you need a clutch compressor, you can make with threaded bar and nuts.

Makes life so easy with proper tools.

Best of luck
gaz_powell

If you get it off with a punch, to replace you could go down the Cosa/late PX route which used a wavy washer and a flanged nut.

I'm still a fan of the castle nut and basket/tab washer.....but only top quality nuts !!
ricalnic
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Monza 225

gaz_powell wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:58 pm By the time you take a socket, arse on doing the modifying it will cheaper and easier to get the tool.
You maybe able to knock it round with a punch, but you'll obviously need to hold the clutch (either a clutch holding tool or piston out and lock the conrod with....the correct tool or a carefully positioned bar through)
Once its out if your rebuilding it, you need a clutch compressor, you can make with threaded bar and nuts.

Makes life so easy with proper tools.

Best of luck
One of the first tools I bought myself, that and a flywheel puller. 35yrs on and I’ve had my value out of them countless times

Good luck with the task in hand, yes a punch, or old screwdriver might be your friend too, just take your time, big whacks are not required
gaz_powell

Yep, I was the same....clutch nut, clutch holder, clutch compressor and flywheel puller....still on the shelf
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

definitely replace it with a flanged/ k-nut & washer once it's off. the castle nut is a tw@7 to tighten, even with the correct tool
Cootscoot

Couldn’t move it with a punch so I made a 2 peg key from a 15mm socket ..worked a treat thanks for all the tips !
gaz_powell

Well done - always nice when things work out, very satisfying when you manage to overcome a problem with what you have got.
If it's a genuine nut it will go again. There's a glut out there that are soft as shite.
I'm sure you will be changing the cruciform, again buy genuine or top quality...do be tempted by cheap ones they don't last D minutes in early px gearboxes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information