GTS COOLANT QUESTION

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
parky

I have purchased some Castrol motorcycle coolant in order to replace the existing coolant in the scoot. However I have just noticed it says on the bottle do not use in Magnesium Alloy engines. Does my GTS have such an engine? or is the coolant which complies with ASTM D3306(I) ok to use.

Thanks for any advice as I am a bit confused...…

(Apologies as this has also been posted in the Auto section as I was not sure of appropriate forum)
chippyzippy
Main scooter: Vespa GTS 300 super sport

Your GTS does not have a magnesium alloy engine. Not as far as I know. However, make sure whatever coolant you use is an OAT ethylene glycol based coolant otherwise you will get loads of trouble with your engine.

The correct type of coolant is listed in the owners manual. I don't think that Castrol is the correct type of coolant going from memory. It's ethylene glycol but I don't think it's OAT. It may be NOAT or HOAT. But only going from memory.

In the Uk the one we used in the workshop for all Vespa GTS models is this one:
https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehi ... 298/SLA1L/

Chippy :D
parky

Hi chippy, Eventually I contacted Piaggio directly and they came back and said that I do have a magnesium alloy engine. So I have installed an appropriate coolant. I think this is something that people should know about as I wonder if other people are confused on this issue. Thanks for your reply
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information