PX Rear Indicators

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
pooliepfr
Main scooter: Vespa PX 125

firekdp wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:28 pm
pooliepfr wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:53 am When i say the headset indicator i mean the light next to speedo that lets you know the indicators are switched on.
Yes, that's the one I'm asking about.
If your indicators normally alternate front to back (never on at the same time), you have an AC indicator system. If back and front flash at the same time it's DC.
I think they flash at the same time.
firekdp

Can you check this to be sure?
On a DC system the "headset indicator" gets its power at the same time as the others, so if the headset one was flashing at a rapid rate, I'd expect the main front ones to be doing the same.
pooliepfr
Main scooter: Vespa PX 125

firekdp wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:42 pm Can you check this to be sure?
On a DC system the "headset indicator" gets its power at the same time as the others, so if the headset one was flashing at a rapid rate, I'd expect the main front ones to be doing the same.
Only managed to get the rear to work very briefly while faffing with the wires under the horncast but it seems the front and rear flash alternately.
firekdp

Ok so it's an AC system.
If the headset indicator is pulsing and not actually turning off, but the front indicators flash at normal speed, when the fault exists, then I'd expect the fault to be either:
A poor connection on the red, between the relay and the junction block or poor contacts within the relay itself.
You can check the relay with a voltmeter by removing the red and measuring the voltage on the relay contact. An analogue meter would show this up best as the needle movement is easier to see. However, if the fault doesn't exist at that time it is going to appear ok!
If the relay is the plastic type you can normally unclip the plastic casing and examine/clean the contacts inside.
railfancwb

I had varying problems with the rear indicators on my 1980 P200e.

Ground problems.

Finally cured the problems by cleaning the finger pulled spring things which hold the fronts of the fenders/bubbles in place.

Had to clean the screws which grounded the lights to the fenders first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information