Help! SIP Road 2 Fitting.

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Anyone else had problems fitting an SIP ROAD 2 exhaust?
Thought I would treat my P200e to a new exhaust to try and improve performance a little. Checked on YouTube 're fitting, and all looked simple enough. Received it today, and have just spent the last 5 hours in the garage trying to get the thing to fit! Downpipe fits nice and snug, left untightned to give a bit of wiggle room, but no way will the holes on the exhaust line up with the ones on the swingarm! I can just about pull the exhaust far enough to get the bolt in, but cannot get it to locate into the blind nut at the other side. Problem is, it is impossible to see/feel, if the holes there are anywhere near aligned!
Have I just got a duff exhaust, or am I just missing a trick?
Any tips/ advice will be greatly appreciated.
Also! I had the rear hub off to check brakes, and with all the pulling and pushing, scoot dropped off rear support and landed on aluminium back plate and has flattened it at the bottom (obviously)! I have tried my best to make it round again, but not too successfully. Will this need replacing?
Sorry for length of post.
Cheers
Martin
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

A lot of people cut/ bend off the nut cage and get a spanner around the nut, otherwise like you say you’re completely blind
Martin20

hat wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:46 pm A lot of people cut/ bend off the nut cage and get a spanner around the nut, otherwise like you say you’re completely blind
Cheers! Looks like I may well have to go down that route. I have emailed supplier, and will wait to see if they come back with any suggestions first!
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

Martin20 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:15 pm
hat wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:46 pm A lot of people cut/ bend off the nut cage and get a spanner around the nut, otherwise like you say you’re completely blind
Cheers! Looks like I may well have to go down that route. I have emailed supplier, and will wait to see if they come back with any suggestions first!
i found it a pain too the cage wasn't strong enough to hold the nut so bent it off anyway.Think they were fine to begin with but once mass produced it's sort of got more and more out of line fitting wise.Didn't have an issue fitting one on my 166 that went on easy(still bent the cage back though) maybe there is a difference between a P2 barrell and a 150 size one? no idea tbh.
the man don't give a f@@k
Martin20

GTFOMWSC wrote:
Martin20 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:15 pm
i found it a pain too the cage wasn't strong enough to hold the nut so bent it off anyway.Think they were fine to begin with but once mass produced it's sort of got more and more out of line fitting wise.Didn't have an issue fitting one on my 166 that went on easy(still bent the cage back though) maybe there is a difference between a P2 barrell and a 150 size one? no idea tbh.
Pic shows how much bracket is off. If no joy from supplier tomorrow, then it's out with drill and dremel! Image

Sent from my SM-A600F using Tapatalk

Martin20

Just a quick update!

Supplier came back to me this morning, offering 10% discount if I did some fettling , or free return to Germany. Decided to fettle! Ended up taking the captive nut casing off, then eventually, managed to hold a nut in the right position for the bolt. Took a while, and a lot of swearing, but got there in the end. Put everything back together, started her up, and all sounds good.
Thanks for all the advice.
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

Good to hear you got sorted
gaz_powell

Had the same problem, had to take cage off and open up holes.

Then it can be a bit difficult to get nut on, so I now use a flanged nyloc nut and you can hold it in a ring spanner making life a bit easier!

Would agree mass production to blame
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

Recently fitted one on my P2 and had the same problem, I cut the cage off and had to elongate the holes to get a bolt through, worst than that though, my new SIP 2 came with a hole in it, I email SIP over a month ago but have had no reply, they appear to be cocking a deaf un.
ducksta

I took the cage off offered it all in place (engine out of scoot and my m8 spot welded the nut in place works a treat.
live life your a long time dead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information