Vespa speedo drive

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Daggs

Can anyone help shed any light on why the speedo drive on my PX200e is such a pile of s**t?

The helical wheel on the hub is fine. I bought a new kit, comprising worm gear, rubber seal, brass looking metal part, fixing plate and even fixing screw.

Yet after fitting this, the speedo may work briefly, then packs up. The speedo cable can be pulled out of the drive with no effort.

The bloody thing has never worked properly since I bought the scooter.

I would have thought that after sixty chuffin' years, Piaggio could have come up with a workable design.

If this post sounds like the post of a frustrated man? It is. No wonder I've only ever owned Lambrettas previously.
railfancwb

Are the internal cable - that part that turns - and the cable jacket/housing correctly matched for length? The internal cable should be able to almost bottom out at the wheel and almost bottom out at the speedometer but not actually bottom out even when the housing is tightened at both ends.

A non-gummy lubricant inside the housing is good.

Have not had this problem with my Vespa but did with a Suzuki 450 motorcycle. New housing and internal fixed it.

Also be certain the curves are as broad as possible - no kinks near either end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information