Fitting a 130 rear tyre

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterindo
Main scooter: Cutdown Bitza

I want to fit a 130 rear tyre on my cutdown.

I have seen the spacer kits sold on the SIP website, and for what's involved I'm sure I could make my own. Initially I plan to use the 2 wide halves' of a set of Vespa rims with a 130/70-10 tyre.

I know that the right hand side of the swing arm of the engine needs to be trimmed by 10mm to re-align to the centre line of the front wheel. Obviously the space goes on the left to fill the gap.

The question that stumps me before I start the works is the top of the shock absorber after the engine has been moved to the right by 1cm. How do you compensate for the revised geometry relationship of the engine/shock /frame. I have had a look and wracked my brain but cant see how the shock wont hit the frame if I re-drill the mounting hole for the rubber buffer at the top of the shock.

Any advice ??Answers on a postcard please.
Old Skool Cool
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I just left the rear shock mount in the original position on both of the ones I've done... no issues.
Scooterindo

Thanks mate did you run the tubed tyre on the two wide rims ?? Due to the pain in the butt aspect of changing the tube was you on Tubeless rims or just standard if tubeless which one ?? I have had a look at the SIP options but all seem to be discontinued now.
Old Skool Cool
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I used this kit from scooter & service on both of the ones I've done;
https://www.scooter-and-service.de/shop ... lete?c=909
Wide half of a Cosa rim & wide half of a PX rim with billet ali spacer between, 130/70 tyre & standard inner tube... no need for a hub spacer on this kit, but you do need to replace your hub studs with the longer bolts provided... not the cheapest kit on the market, but imo it's the best.
Scooterindo

Thanks for the reply guys - I have decided to go with the new Tubeless SIP rim as it does away with the issue of a spacer kit.
Old Skool Cool
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information