MBD 170 T5 kit.

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Juan

Evening lads, asking on behalf of my brother.

Story is he's a bought a Poley T5 that we've known all of the ownership since new. He's bought it last year after 20 years of badgering the last couple of owners to part with it. It's now a little tired and not running quite as well as we know it can. Pretty sure it needs a new set of rings but hopefully it's just that and not a hone and /or a new piston.

From memory they used a Suzuki TS 185 piston kit, can anyone confirm this and if not then what was the piston used? I know it was Suzuki of some description.

Cheers.
gaz_powell

While I have no idea what MB used - I've done 2 versions - a malossi kit on standard bore with a suzuki TS 185 piston - had to shorten the skirt and add an inlet window.
Then a polini bored out and again same piston and mods.
You need to reprofile head to suit suzuki dome.
Pretty straight forward
Juan

Cheers Gaz. You've pretty much convinced me I was right in thinking it was a TS 185 piston.

Much appreciated lad.
RGC GEOFF
Main scooter: Vespa GTr BGM 190

Stupid question but why not to ask to Mark directly ?
If you contact him on FB he will answer very quickly.
Built not bought...
gaz_powell

Juan, speak to Martin at Chiselspeed - his polini barrel one was the first one I saw (before I did it). He's great with cylinderheads aswell
ducksta

Martin did me a Suzuki conversion on my t5 a couple of years back good kit
live life your a long time dead
Juan

Cheers lads, he has the full kit done by Mark late part of 89/ early 90 so hopefully it needs no more work than a new set of rings. Not been near it myself as it just came up in conversation with my brother and he needs no help from me as he's plenty handy enough with the spanners himself.

I remember chasing the bike down and back up to/from Whitley Bay in 1990. I was on my mates Pinasco 162 with Mikeck solo and our mate, the original owner, was on the MBD. Think it was running a Mikeck too at the time and he had another mate on the back and was still creeping away from me on the straights with both of the throttles on the stops.

To answer Geoff I'm not on Facebook and it's unlikely that will ever change.

He did speak with Mark a while back and the plan at the time was to remove the whole shooting match and send it down to him for a check over and rework as needed. Since then he's split with his wife and had to give up work to look after their 2 primary school aged boys so every penny is a Prisoner.

Thanks for the help anyway, much appreciated.
225worb
Main scooter: Vespa 225, Falc , 230 S2

Ive a mk1 square headlight standard T5 coming to me and want a little hooooner..
Back in the day i built a tuned standard bore T5 , raised barrel, skimmed head, opened inlet and about 12 taken off of the crank web (guessing) and a mk1 Mikeck .....it absolutely flew!!!
Quite happily rev around (on digital rev counter) to 03-04!!!!!!
I want to stick a malossi 172, eccentric big end pin and fettle the inlet and hopefully a mikeck (if anyone has one for sale)but may end up with something else .....you mentioned a TS185 piston.. what benefits would it give using one and did you say it will fit the standard nicosil bore ??
Juan

Doesn't fit standard bore, read what Gaz has said.

Standard T5 55mm.

Polini 61mm.

TS 185 64mm as standard but at least 3 oversizes going up 0.5 per rebore.

Malossi 65mm.

Think the easiest of the lot would be the Polini seeing as you need no liner, took me a good while to get my head around using a cast iron barrel where it should be alloy/nicasil but the Polini was easily my favourite power delivary other than the Pinasco 162. Shagged Polini barrels are also 10 a penny, great kit when run in properly but a lot didn't bother. Have seen Pinasco now have reintroduced a T5 barrel but the cost is stupid and no idea how it stacks up against the old one.

I like the Taffy Goldline IV if you can't find a Mikeck but don't expect they're too easily found in good condition either these days.
225worb
Main scooter: Vespa 225, Falc , 230 S2

Thanks Dave
(been a while)
Sorry i didnt make explain properly, i meant to fit the ts piston into the malossi cylinder...thanks for the bumff though very helpfull
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information