Kitting old 6v Vespa's?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnnylydon
Main scooter: Vespa PX

Hi everyone - new here so please be gentle. I have a 66 GT 125. It's actually a 150 GL engine from 61/62. Great scooter but it would be nice to squeeze a little more power out of it for touring and such...if I thought it was possible? Downside? It's still on 6v. I've recently had the stator replaced and coil. It was cutting out dead which is now resolved. Running really well but a little flat top end. I've fitted a Road Sip 2 which has helped a little. I was pondering a Pinasco kit to take it up to 177 but I've been advised that it's a little dicey with it being on 6v. Is this true guys? If not a kit maybe a 5 port head? Ideally a bigger engine and 12v upgrade..maybe a T5 or p2 would be great but I could do without any vast expense at the minute. I'd kindly appreciate your thoughts! : )
Thanks for reading!
Ginch
Main scooter: Vespa 150 Super

I don't see the correlation between the kit and 6V. If the stator is supplying a decent spark at the right time then it doesn't care what's happening in the cylinder. I reckon you'll be very happy with the extra power you'll get from a Pinasco 177 2 port cast iron cylinder. It really was made for motors like yours.
johnnylydon

Thanks Ginch. Appreciated mate. I think my only real concern is the spark itself. Whether it'll be strong enough. It seems healthy enough on mine. Think I'll have a go and see what happens. Thanks again!
Juan

I seen somewhere else you can get an alloy / nikasil 2 port kit now. Might've even been linked by Ginch now I think of it. Whether it's worth the extra expense I doubt but it gives you an option on the cast iron version.

http://www.myscooterparts.co.uk/classic ... s/ve10728/

That was the first link I found on a quick search, if you fancy it no doubt you could get a better price if you were to look around.
johnnylydon

Looks good Juan! - I've actually ordered a cast iron head though unfortunately. I hope it works out! My first attempt!
Ginch
Main scooter: Vespa 150 Super

Pinasco do a 3 port cylinder that comes with a base plate to blank off the 3rd port, making them suitable for a 2 port case. Not sure if that is the one Juan, can't see the base.
However I've never heard anyone unhappy with the cast iron kit.
johnnylydon

Cast iron Pinasco bought and fitted next week - I'll check back in with the results soon! Thanks again for your input everyone
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information