Smallframe Crank

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

A mate had a "dealer" build him a small frame engine. His instruction was to build it as standard top end but with a race crank and decent bearings as the long term plan was to fit a Polini kit.

Anyway, the engine never got fitted and the mate has now bought the Polini Kit. I think it's a 130 but I haven't opened the box yet.

I said I'd fit the top end for him, albeit that I have never worked on a smallframe engine before. Having taken the top end off, I have some doubts about how this engine was put together.

My question relates to this crank. I know it's hard to tell without me splitting the casing, but does this crank look like a suitable race crank?

GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Is this going to be using the rotary intake or reed on the barrell? Assuming rotary as it's not a full circle crank.

Can you post a picture of the crank intake cutout & perhaps measure the open timing?

You'd get best results by matching the casing transfers to the barrel & openning up the intake, but that would mean a casing split as you'd not want the waste ally getting in the crank.
storkfoot

I'll have to open up the parcel he has given me but I suspect it may be reed valve. I'll get back to you. Cheers.
225worb
Main scooter: Vespa 225, Falc , 230 S2

Looks very much like a standard type crank or yes maybe a cut crank but if it were a reed type there would be signs of chamfering on the on all of the right side web and the inlet port wouldve been properly fettled !!!!
storkfoot

Only just getting back to this. Stripping engine down to get at the crank.

My question is about the clutch. A large frame clutch will just prise out once you have taken the nut off under the thrust plate. I have done this but clutch doesn't seem to want to move. Should it prise off now?
Boreham
Main scooter: GP225

The small frame clutch is on a taper, similar to the flywheel, requires the correct tool
storkfoot

Thanks, mate. Just found reference to it in the Haynes manual, finally.
storkfoot

Thanks for those links. I'll re-register on the Smallframes forum too ;-)
storkfoot

Not even a new conrod :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information