Rally 200 suspension

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

I suspect anyone who has run an old Rally front suspension for any length of time, might recognise this picture of my damper:

Essentially, the spring is so weak that the strain on the damper is too much. You can probably just make out that the rod screws into the top, however, the thread in the top is broken causing it to separate like this. I tried fixing it once, to no lasting avail.

The plus is that this finally prompted me to invest in a new 25% stiffer spring and a Carbone "Hi Tech" damper:

I suspected this was going to show up my original rear shock absorber as being ineffectual but, so far, I'd have to say the upgrade is a big success. It certainly gives you a lot more confidence in throwing the scoot around and braking quickly.

The downside is that the more I use this original Femsatronic scoot, the more things need replacing. What was initially a new carb and clutch to get it running a few years ago, has since become a new loom, light switch, exhaust and now this. Ah well, at least the old girl is getting used these days after spending many years hibernating in a shed :)
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Things are starting to go wrong,time to get rid.............I'll take it off your hands,how much do you want :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted:
storkfoot

Oooh, no. Me finding this old girl was that "once in a lifetime" barn find moment. It's staying with me, no-one else would love her like me :-)
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

storkfoot wrote:Oooh, no. Me finding this old girl was that "once in a lifetime" barn find moment. It's staying with me, no-one else would love her like me :-)
I will,honest.
woody

Where did you get the uprated shock from and how much was it mate .
storkfoot

SIP came together as a kit, spring and damper. About £110.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

how the fck did you get that 25% stiffer spring on, I have tried several times with these springs on my own scooter & my mates, every time I gave up.
storkfoot

Ha, yes. I pondered that predicament for a good 10 minutes too. Hard to explain. It was screwed into the top partially. I then screwed the connector into the bottom of the spring too far (or it may have been too far).

This meant that with a quick blow of the hammer I could get it through the hole in the forks (as you have sussed, you can't get it through when it is in the proper position).

Hope you're with it so far.

At this point the connector wasn't far enough through the plate on the forks to get a nut on. I then took mole grips to the body of the spring and twisted it until it was properly engaged top and bottom and the connector was far enough through the plate on the forks to get the nut and washer on.

I hope this makes some degree of sense?
storkfoot

Edit: "I then screwed the connector into the bottom of the spring too far (or it may have been too far)."

Should be "I then screwed the connector into the bottom of the spring a little (or it may have been too far). "
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information