Malossi ignition timing

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
James
Main scooter: Lambretta

Quick question regarding my Malossi 221 engine.
Had a Kytronik on it but stopped working so I need to revert back to static for the time being.
Motor setup:
Malossi 221 kit
Maz 60mm web crank
Pipe design charger exhaust
MMW reedblock
34mm carb

Unfortunately I don't have a strobe so I was thinking of setting the ignition timing to 18BTDC which I presume is the IT mark on the casing?
Is that in the right ball park or am I way out
ukpeckerwood
Main scooter: Vespa PX210

I think you will have to strobe it as the standard timing marks are for a 57mm crank and your using a 60mm.
Rsport220

IT is usually 18 but on mine its nowhere near, with all the nice kit in the engine it seems a waste to guess/assume your timing. I could be wrong but I`m sure radial timing marks don`t change with stroke, only the distance of the piston from tdc will change.
James

Never quite that simple is it. Thanks for the replies think Santa needs to bring a strobe gun for Christmas!!
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

To be 18 degrees is assumed to be for a 57mm crank. A 60mm would need to be half a degree less for the equivalent timing.

The more advanced the timing is the more power it will have. 18 degrees is the safe choice.
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

TDC is still TDC,which ever crank you use.
Rsport220

What did you think of the Kytronik (before it broke)? I have got some good results from mine, amazing the difference that can be made just by twidling the pot, easy tuning really. Didn`t change the power curve on the dyno very much but out on on the road it gave a very noticeable boost when off pipe.
James

Unfortunately it was damaged (i think) whilst at the tuners so it wouldn't start hence removing so at present I can't comment. I've tried to get another one but everywhere seems out of stock. Anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've tried their site and MB
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

HxPaul wrote:TDC is still TDC,which ever crank you use.
And 18 degress is still 18 degrees but the distance from TDC changes with crank stroke, which changes the ignition timing, Although not so much, so who cares?
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information