T5 seizure crank ok?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gtwildcat
Main scooter: lambretta GT200

My lads T5 classic has just seized up coming home from work. The autolube pipe had come off :shock :roll:
Ive taken the barrel off and the barrel and piston are knackered, all the plating has scored off by the exhaust port. The rings haven't broken but stuck in the grooves on the side of the seizure. Nothing appears to have come off and gone down into the bottom end.
My question is what is the chance of the crank being ok? Is there anyway i can check it without totally striping the engine?
Cheers john..
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i suppose it depends how long it ran without oil before it nipped, i would not take a chance, get the crank out and rebuilt, at least a new bearing or pin as well, your going need a new kit or replate and piston, you dont want to wreck your new top end if your big end bearing falls to bits
H,POOL GADGE
Main scooter: vespa polini220/gts 300

Don't panic gadge, big ends & conrods can take a battering! like nips, seizes and holeing piston.. check sideways movement isn't to excessive, probs won't be twisted.... push/pull conrod to rotate crank and listen to the bearing (bear in mind it might a bit dry) if it grates/rough, wash out with petrol, whilst rotating crank with conrod and/or just lube it with 2 stroke or engine oil....no big deal gadge!!! :D
gtwildcat
Main scooter: lambretta GT200

Thanks for the help and advice guys 8-)
gaz_powell

I'd agree that cranks/big ends can take some hammer like nips/seizures etc been the result of bad ignition timing or incorrect air mixture etc but where the total lack of any lubrication has destroyed the top end I would have it out and rebuilt.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information