Bridge rectifier for battery model Rally 200

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

I am now on third battery in 3 years. I also have occasional issues with random bulbs blowing. This makes make feel the original rectifier is not working properly.

Years ago, on a standard Li150, I fitted a bridge rectifier which was a cheap and reliable fix, if memory serves me right.

Would I be right in assuming I can do this again? It's a Femsatronic 6v electronic.

I'll post a pic of rectifier and wiring diagram later.
storkfoot

storkfoot

coaster

That's not a very clear diagram but it LOOKS like a half wave rectifier (diode) not a full wave type, should be easy to replace though. You casn still use a bridge rectifier but only use one half of it. I'd change that capacitor at the same time.
storkfoot

This is outside my level of expertise. Any ideas from, say, Maplins catalogue what I should buy? :-)
coaster

storkfoot wrote:This is outside my level of expertise. Any ideas from, say, Maplins catalogue what I should buy? :-)
If it were mine I would end up experimenting with a few options but it would depend on the required amperage (probably 10 amps would be easily high enough) and the amount of space you have. For you to do it, I don't I don't have enough knowledge to be able to talk you through it. J1MS would be a good bet if he's reading this ;)

Before going any further though, have you checked the charge volts with your meter? It's possible that you need a zenor diode to clamp the volts if 6volt ones are available.
dirtyhandslopez

Have you had this problem since you first owned the scoot or just the last three years, when the batteries started going bad? Have you tried getting "to metal" grounds at all grounding spots?
That's not going anywhere...
storkfoot

Probably had this issue since I have had scoot. It was off the road for many, many years before. I burnt out loom a couple of years ago so it is a new loom (positive and negative leads to battery fused together).

I have checked continuity all the way through which only showed that I have a faulty brake light switch. I suspected that anyway. I shall have another look at the earths though.
storkfoot

Battery, which is a new one, produces 6.2v non running, 6.4 running and 6.0 running with lights on. Does that sound okay?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

looks a little low, I would be expecting to get over 7v if was charging
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information