Choosing an exhaust is a nightmare!! - Help. Please

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Keeko
Main scooter: '97 Vespa T5 Classic

In the old days when I was into my first phase of scootering (86-89) things were a lot simpler as there was no internet and you didnt have to read literally hundreds and hundreds of posts on different forums trying to do your research so you didnt end up wasting your money! My scenario is this; Ive recently got back into the scene and purchased a '97 T5 classic which is bog standard except for a leo Vince exhaust. Ive been toying with the idea of kitting it with a malossi 172 during the winter. Im lucky enough to have 3 close friends who have all got T5's kitted and have spoken to them in depth about various components and setups - so IF I kit it Ive a rough idea of what to buy / fit. My other option is to leave it standard (which at present is what Im leaning towards due to cost). If I leave it standard the only thing I want to upgrade is the exhaust. Ive read so much over the last while about all the great pipes, the pros and cons etc. I thought i'd put it to the masses (as Im sure hundreds have done before and I apologise for going over old ground) and ask for YOUR advice on what exhaust I should put on a standard T5. My budget will be about £150 and hopefully a stainless steel one. Can any of you kind people provide any advice on what to buy, what performance pluses to expect or issues to consider?

Many many thanks for any information, it is greatly appreciated.
ducksta

Sip road 2 if they have them in stock
live life your a long time dead
H,POOL GADGE
Main scooter: vespa polini220/gts 300

2 ways to look at it...is scoot a tourer or full throttle everywhere! a pipe for touring...sip 2, maybe simonini....revvy, racing pipes...scorpion, pm tuning, revolver and mild steels better than stainless steel for dissipating heat....
ducksta

I ran a revolver on my t5 malossi 172 performed really well
H,POOL GADGE
Main scooter: vespa polini220/gts 300

big expansion pipes do well on kitted scoots, they kill standard scoots.....
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

had a sip pipe on my standard t5 and it went very well.
Juan

Standard T5 system was really good but doubt you'll find one these days. Taff IV Goldline was great with kitted bikes but again nearly impossible to get these days. Told the JL systems are good but no experience personally and nothing newer on the market in recent times unless some of the box pipes which again have no firsthand. You'll struggle on that budget, either a box or an Asian expansion if new.
GFlint
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

Excuse my ignorance, but I understood the standard T5 can match a 200 in speed. Why would owners put a 172 kit on, is the speed it takes to get to max faster?
Tks Gary
If you don't tinker, you won't learn anything, but you won't break anything either :)
ducksta

Yes but the 200s are slow so if upgrading get as much as you can
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information