Inlet Timing

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
joeythescooterboy

Been doing a bit of measuring and found I have 190deg inlet timing.
Read through my old Norrie book and it he says that you should have a max of 70deg after TDC, I have 110 before and 80 after with a Mazz 60mm crank.
Just how important is the 70 after rule?
Nemo saltat sorbius, nisi infanus est.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

hi, if your inlet timing is too big you would be best to use a reedvalve as this will stop the inlet charge being expelled back out of the carb, this is the main reason that reedvalves are used, to increase inlet timing to much higher levels.
joeythescooterboy

It's not too big kid, just not sure how important the 70 after "rule" suggested by Norrie is.
Inlet was ported a while back for standard crank with 10mm cut off leading edge and it was fine (can't remember exact figure, I've slept since then :D )
I knew Mazz crank was a longer dwell but it's only now I've actually measured that I know I've got 80 degrees after TDC.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

how does it ride??
Scootering since 1968.
joeythescooterboy

It rides well, very torquey, pulled uphill around the Amalfi Coast Rd in 4th 2's up but won't go over 6000 rpm....... but that's another story.
Really just trying to get clarification on the 70 after thing.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

if it aint broke........
Scootering since 1968.
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

It's all about rpm. The higher it revs the more you need. 90 degrees is probably good for 10,000 rpm
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
sean brady scooters
Dealer

lol, more like the other way around i reckon ! ...as only by increasing the inlet timing will it rev higher ..
anything up to prob a max of 210 degrees can be used ,depending on use and gearing etc .
whenever i work out the desired timing ,i always start from the opening time ...usually around the point of transfer closing although it can be opened slightly earlier .
the main restriction of course on most rotary intake vespas is the area of the port ,t5,s have a wider crank web and so offer a better time /area .
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

You've touched on so many subjects all at once, I don't know where to start ;) This inlet timing thing is something that keeps on coming up though. I think Joey's 80 degrees ATDC is ok. Norrie wrote that book a long time ago. Like you implied with modern thinking, it could do with a bit more BTDC, probably about 120 degrees, as this would be compatible with any barrel that has peak power at somewhere 8500+ rpm.
Running 80 degrees ATDC on a barrel that doesn't need it will just make it a little over rich at low/mid rpm, should hardly notice.

I am one of those that think a well set up P200 rotary intake valve will give more mid/top end power than reeds up to a 30mm carb. Any carb bigger than 30mm and there just isn't enough area, in which case, it's reeds all the way.
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
sean brady scooters
Dealer

just to add that the later the rotary inlet timing is closed ,the higher up in the rev range the power is made ...not always the best thing though as is often the case ..cranks cut that way can make a vespa to peaky !
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information