white smoke.

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
lammy666
Main scooter: lambretta li 125/190 chop.

just picked up a bog standard px125, problem is when i start it the engine belts out loads of white smoke and then loses power and just dies.
i have cleaned the tank and fitted a new tap and replaced the carb with one off another px i have but still cuts out and has no power although there is plenty of compression.
im thinking oil seal any suggestions guys.
Speed Demon
Dealer

Yes, drive side oilseal usually.

Take out the gearbox filler plug and tip the scooter over. If you get fluid comes out and it smells of petrol then seal is damaged. If there's no geabox oil to be found the seal is fooked becuase the engine is burning it all.

The only other common thing that causes this is a scooter mistakenly filled with diesel. Even some residue in the tank will cause those symptoms.

http://www.scooterlab.uk
Get to SULK
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

sounds like drive seal to me, drain oil and check if there is any petrol in the oil and how much oil is left
as a test you can drain the oil and run the engine for a VERY short time (but don't ride it) and see If the smoking stops
lammy666
Main scooter: lambretta li 125/190 chop.

cheers guys, will drain the oil tomoz.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information