Fuel pump on non reed manifold

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooby15
Main scooter: PX200

Hi guys,

I have a Malossi 210 which suffers the dreaded fuel starvation (pinking) when the tank drops below half when riding WOT. It is using Dellorto 30mm PHBH on a rotary induction set up, so non-reed manifold. I have purchased a Mikuni vacuum pump (the rectangular 14l/hr one) and would like to mount it on the carb manifold, but before I start drilling the banjo, does anyone know if this will work on a non-reed manifold, as most that I have seen done this have been on reed manifolds? I assume that it will, but just wanted to know if anyone has had experience of this set up.

The other question I have is, is there anything else that I could try before resorting to the fuel pump? I currently have a 300 float needle valve, would replacing this with a 350 or 400 give any benefit?

Current carb set up is:

Dellorto 30mm PHBH
Atomiser AV266
Main Jet 130
Idle 55
Needle X2 top clip
Float Valve Needle 300

It runs great with a full tank of fuel and revs to 7900 in 3rd, and will hit 75 MPH in 4th, but once half full will only run to 6200 without pinking, which isn't very far as it drinks fuel :D

Thanks
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

Yes it will work. I have a manifold sorted for this somewhere. Pm me if your interested in it
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Out of interest.....are you running a JL3 or Revolver type exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Scooby15

Thanks LI150, PM sent.
Scooby15

I had a SS JL RZ1 originally which was great but cracked, then tried a SIP road 2, which was nice for torque but lost the top end, so replaced it with a mild steel revolver, which I have found to be just as good as the JL.

The rest of the spec is:

Malossi 210 (old kit)
SIP head 11.3:1 compression and 1.2mm squish (with no head gasket)
BGM superstong clutch (23/65 with T5 4th gear)
KytroniK SB2 set to curve 7 (23 degrees 2000-4000 then backing off to 18 at 6000 and 16 at 7000)

I haven't taken the cylinder off to inspect, but was told by the previous owner that the cases haven't been ported, so there is more to get out of this motor, and it was previously dynod at 18BHP, but not sure what carb etc it had on at that time.

Apart from the fueling issue it pulls really well in all gears and in ideal conditions I have seen 78MPH GPS (on a private road :) and it will cruise at 70+MPH, so a bit reluctant to strip it and port the cases until it needs it and may well then think about long stroking also, but if I can get the fuel starvation problem sorted for now I will be happy with the performance.
eden
Dealer

400 float valve
1469leach
Main scooter: jet200/rapido 225

1. Install fast flow fuel tap either SCK OR SIPP.
2. Make sure fuel hose is as short as possible not kinked and has not gone all stiff and warn
3.ensure air inlet hole in petrol cap is clear and ream out if required.
4. check fuel flow to carb at full ,half,and 1,4 full tank levels it should flow 300ml per minute at the height of the carb.
once you have checked all this and ensured you have the correct minimum fuel flow I would look at the carb as Eden suggests.I f you don't get the required fuel flow then consider the pump but my malossi was ok without one and most people only use them when using the deeper long range fuel tanks cause gravity flow is not enough to achieve the required flow rates.

cheers Jeff
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information