Clutch f@@ked - engine?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

mick1 wrote:Can't see the crank "floating". There would also be issues on the flywheel side and if the big end bearing was loose you'd certainly have other noises and issues.
Watch the video, can you see the axial play?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Hmmmm the video sends my theories up the Swannee :oops:

Ok now i'm thinking how can the crank move if secured by a tight fit on either the clutch or flywheel side crank bearing ? For it to move like that there must be play in both bearings.....or the bearing in the flywheel casing. Either way it looks like you've got a full strip down :(
victor

Can't understand it either... Especially Not since this ran absolutely fine prior to storage. Must have fallen over or something of the kind that have knocked something out of alignment.

Think the engine is liquid sealed so will be a nightmare splitting it ;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

Saw the video. Its just your crank moving in the main bearing. The crank should fit into the bearing tighter than that. Try it with a clutch tightened on and see how much float there is. At some point it has been running with the clutch nut loose and thats worn all the parts.
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
victor

Will do!

The clutch sat so hard on the taper a three legged puller was needed to get it off.

Despite this it had still rubbed the clutch cover leading me to believe the play was there but will double check :)

Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

I expect the clutch would have been rubbing on the clutch cover when the nut was loose before it spun on the key and jammed. Post a picture of the inside of the clutch centre that you took off and we should see that it is a bit of a state in there around the keyslot.
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Never seen anything like it. I wonder is your crank moving in and out of the main bearing on the clutch side as opposed to the bearing having axial play? I can't make it out on the video if its bearing play or the crank loose inside the bearing. It should be a tight fit. Is there a crack in the bearing collar? Maybe the clutch for some reason was never tight on the bearing and oil pump cog, maybe jamming on the key and not seating fully home. It would explain the clutch rubbing the cover in one area as opposed to all round, just not sitting flat. Then with the crank sliding in the bearing, the only thing stopping it is the side of the crank web coming to rest against the casing on the oilseal side. It'll be interesting to see if the crank web was rubbing the casing on the oil seal side. The flyside bearing never holds the crank from moving in and out. It's why you can split px casings. The collar of the fly bearing sits on the crank and slides into the rollers. An engine split will reveal alot. Looking forward to seeing a solution. Good luck with it!
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Very much looks to me in the video that the crank is sliding in the bearing inner race. I've never seen one like that before. I've always had to pull the crank into place and it's usually a very tight fit in the bearing race. This is why the crank usually always remains in the left hand casing when you take the right one off.

Will be interesting to see the state of the crank / bearing when this is split.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
andyvep
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

Victor, I have a similar problem with a stuck clutch. Looks just like your photo. I tried a 3 leg pulley and still couldn't budge it. How did you do it?
victor

Tried heating it, penetrates oils etc plus the gentleman's persuader to no avail. Let it sit for a week while I ordered a 100mm puller and that popped it straight off :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information