Clutch f@@ked - engine?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

Need some advise here, just fitted a new engine into my px frame and took it for a test ride.

Noticed the clutch was dragging and no adjustments made any difference.

Thought I better take a look verifying no disks were warped but the clutch is stuck, rock solid.

No amounts of brute force managed to get it out, pryed so hard the circuit snapped out of the bell which I know have, alongside springs, on the operation table.

The rest still stuck though....

Noticed that the clutch and flywheel (and Crank) now have an axial play of a few millimetres, probably due to the violence applied.

Is an engine split the only viable next option?

Will that help me get the clutch out?

And what can the Crank play depend on...?

Thankful for any advise - cheers Victor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

In this months Scootering there's an article on a new Vespa clutch removal tool.......worth a try maybe ?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Not now...

I think that is designed to be fitted in place of the pressure plate to jack the clutch off the crank. The basket is gone on that and the drive plate is jammed on the crank. Betting would be it was thumped over an incorrectly fitted or oversize woodruff key. Possibly the key was loctited in and it's spread?

Looks like you could try a three legged puller on there and try to pull the drive plate off the shaft.

The drive side bearing is probably shagged by now hence the axial movement, so you're going to have to split the motor regardless. You might be able to refit the clutch nut and knock the crank trough - carefully - you don't want to shag that to, though have it checked for alignment.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
victor

Was thinking the Crank bearing and oil seal retaining clip could have popped of and the package moved, hopefully it could be enough to knocking it back once the clutch is off but how do I get it off?

Won't a three legged puller warp the drive plate...?

rosscla

It might, but if you have popped that fecking great circlip out on the main bearing then that is the least of your worries.

Looking at the picture again it doesn't look in the best of shape anyway.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
victor

Ok, clutch Bell off, nothing is warped fortunately!

However, I'm convinced my clutch problem is due to the floating Crank, as the spring caps seem to have rubbed on the clutch cover:

So what is the crank play dependent on...?

Will pop the flywheel on Saturday so that might reveal more:

https://vimeo.com/162899325

gaz_powell

Is the spacer there behind clutch ?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Can't see the crank "floating". There would also be issues on the flywheel side and if the big end bearing was loose you'd certainly have other noises and issues.
rosscla

Is it a 200 clutch cover as it looks like you had the 115mm clutch in there?
victor

It's a 200 engine, I was running it hears ago but has been lying in a dark corner of my garage for the last 5 years or so before I fitted it and noticed the clutch issue.

The washer was there (it's got a slot for the woodruff key)...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information