Fuel in the states - 1980 Vespa P200e

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
railfancwb

Virtually all gasoline in the states has been adulterated with 10% ethanol.

Should I change from regular - 87 octane - to high test - 93 octane for my two cycle P200e?

Would the same answer apply to Lambretta and/or four cycle engines?
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Probably yes, is the simple answer. That would be roughly the same as a regular grade here. From memory you do have a third option, which is probably equivalent to our super unleaded, and generally speaking they don't have ethanol in. At least over here.
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

Regular US 87 (AKI) is equivalent to European 92 (RON).

US 93 octane is around 98 RON.

Ethanol's a different matter, and varies state by state. You can find info about it here:
http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide ... _laws.html
http://www.pure-gas.org/
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
culturesponge
Main scooter: GS150 x2, Primmy, PX & GTS

i only fill up with premium Shell or Chevron petrol/benzine/gasoline here in California - seems to be okay for road use

would rather not run with petrol with ethanol mix but have not noticed any major probs with the blended brew on sale here, floats and inline filters etc don't melt
dirtyhandslopez

If there is a new gas station in the area, go to it. The fuel holding tanks will not have been in the ground long and won't have too much crap in them. Run he highest octane you can find, hopefully 93. Avoid 87 unless there is nothing else, you still get home, just go easy.

Nowadays I retard the ignition timing 3 degrees, but have put down many a mile on Lambretta's and Vespa's without doing that(because it was not known to do so) and not blown up, so what the exact answer is is hard to know. They are very resilient motors.

If you tune the motor in any way, definitely retard the ignition

There are a lot of things in play with ethanol, as is known, but it seems if you run the scoot often enough and it is set up right, the ethanol doesn't seem to be a problem on motors. Floats might swell a tad, but that isn't the motor :D

Funny thing is, in places you can buy 110 octane racing fuel out of the pump. But, you have to pump into a can, not into vehicle
That's not going anywhere...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information