Vespa Tuning Project.....

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

So, if you've read the other thread, you'll know that i've just gone mental and bought a Vespa!

I seem to be eternally building my 'dream Lambretta' and so as the current Lambretta consists of a Frame at the shot blasters, a load of panels and bodywork on order from supplier, some empty engine casings and a box of bits.....i thought i'd get back into Vespa ownership, so that i have something in running/working order, that i can ride AND fettle at the same time.

So, harking back to my old P2 Vespa, i pondered what i'd like to own this time. This is my old P2:

The above was pretty 'standard' (by my standards) in terms of engine. It was a standard cylinder/piston, that Sean did a very mild tune on. The flywheel was lightened to about 1850g, the crank cut to increase inlet duration, and fitted with a 26mm 'Vortex' carb from HotRod Al, a JL R/H pipe and some of Al's engine mount bushes.

I loved that scoot, and only sold it due to financial reasons....wish i still had it!!

So.......moving forward, this is the new beast:

image by drunkmunkey6969, on Flickr

Its a P2 with Malossi 210 kit, 60mm 'bell' crank, JL R/H pipe, MB Developments reed valve and 30mm Delly carb.

Now i GPSd my old P2 at circa 75mph, and i've ridden my new P2 and GPS'd it at the same. The old P2 ran the standard 4th gear. whereas this bike runs the T5 4th gear.....so the old P2 was getting around on torque/gearing and the new P2 is Power/Revs....two different beasts. And the Malossi got to its terminal speed MUCH faster, it was kinda frantic! lol

So what i'm gonna do, is match a better pipe up to the Malossi kit, i have the Bullet 220 on order form pipedesign.de which looks to have a curve similar to the Lambretta Franspeed pipe (comes on power just after 5000rom and peaks at just after 8000rpm). This should get me into the 80+ mph area that i want to be in.

I dynod the new P2 to see what its kicking out and its at 21bhp at the moment:

Dan Vespa by drunkmunkey6969, on Flickr

So i would hope that the new pipe will and 3 or so BHP, and 1250rpm @ peak. I'll dyno back 2 back with no other changes to find out what the pipe is doing.

After that, i'll then port the cylinder to see if i can get another 3bhp or so and climb towards 27+ bhp.

In anticipation of the extra power, i've got some new clutch plates and the Worb5 springs:
v3 by drunkmunkey6969, on Flickr

After the pipe has been dynoed, and then the porting has been dynoed.....i''l try a 30mm Flatslide, and re-dyno:
v2 by drunkmunkey6969, on Flickr

And then i'll try some new reeds and re-dyno:
v4 by drunkmunkey6969, on Flickr

Lastly, to increase my chances of staying on the f@@ker, i've got some SIP rims and new tyres, uprated shockers front/rear are on the way, and HotRod Al is sending me another set of frame/mount bushes........happy days!!
v1 by drunkmunkey6969, on Flickr

Will keep you posted as i go along ;)
v5 by drunkmunkey6969, on Flickr
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Good work Dan, should make for an interesting read :geek:

Any plans to try one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vespa-Polini- ... 46100a1f4d

SF
drunkmunkey6969

No....lol :0

That's a budget pipe......the pipe i'm using costs about 4x that one, and has the power/rev range to go with it. (Hopefully)

In fact if the pipe i've ordered does the business, i'll get a few in and stock those to compliment the range at the other end of the price scale.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Shaunbond

Looking forward to seeing the various results. Great looking scooters, the original and new one.
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
OzOAP
Main scooter: Vespa PTS1E

Will be following with interest. Got a few P200s knocking about.
Spanish Fly

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:No....lol :0

That's a budget pipe.....
Yeah more like my budget! :lol:
It is a nice looking pipe though, sort of a cross between a Polini and a SIP spanny.
I didn't think for a minute it will come close to a JL or Pipedream.de on top end. Just curious what the power spread was like and if it might be a good buy for something in a lower state of tune than your scoot. ;)
SF
drunkmunkey6969

Spanish Fly wrote:Just curious what the power spread was like and if it might be a good buy for something in a lower state of tune than your scoot. ;)
SF
Check out this months scootering mag for a good idea of cheap pipes and how they behave......they did a big test on Vespa box pipes and Vespa pressed/cheap pipes.
drunkmunkey6969

Shaunbond wrote:Looking forward to seeing the various results. Great looking scooters, the original and new one.

Thanks. And to be honest, i'd have prefered to have started with a standard Vespa, so i could have done a 'bang for bucks' tune forst, similar to my old P2....but taking the cylinder/piston a bit further this time, and putting a dyno chart to it. Then maybe moving on and doing this whole Malossi/Pipe thing after. But hey ho.....time n money, n'all that! :lol:
Spanish Fly

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Check out this months scootering mag for a good idea of cheap pipes and how they behave......they did a big test on Vespa box pipes and Vespa pressed/cheap pipes.
Trip to WH Smiths required. ;)

Cheers.

SF
drunkmunkey6969

Well the Worb5 springs and the new clutch plates turned up swiftly and got slotted straight in after a 48hr soak:
bgm22 by drunkmunkey6969, on Flickr

SIP tubless rims were promptly fitted, and these BGM shocks arrived so will get slotted on next week. Not the most exotic suspension, but great value for money!
BGM by drunkmunkey6969, on Flickr

Now where is that bloody pipe!!!! lol

I thought it was an off the shelf item and would be here swiftly, but still waiting for pipe-design to get it made and send it over. As soon as it arrives will dyno up and post results.

Then of course......there is the new Maslossi MHR 210 kit to consider.......lol ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information