PX125 Stuck In Gear

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Plenty of scooterists in that part of the world. hopefully someone will see the post and contact you.

i'm thinking that the lever the "Batwing" connects to has an arm with a rotating cam on. This pushes the selector in and out. The piece that sits in the selector rod may have broke and that may cause the problem. This is an easy fix but not something i'd be happy doing if it was still under warranty. I'm also wondering if the dealer would stand the cost of a local company doing the fix ?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Undo the 2 nuts that hold the selector box on and wiggle the box off without tearing the gasket. Check the shaft is tight in the cruciform by tightening up left hand thread but not too hard . Jack the back end up to spin the wheel whilst pulling on the selector shaft and it should move outwards until it hits the first gear shim. If this is ok and isn't jammed then check the batwing can rotate freely, you can remove the spring to make this easier.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

If you do take the selector off also check the pin that hold the arm to the batwing hasn't come out.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

To get the selector off, the engine really needs to be in 4th gear. Is the engine turning over, can you depress the kickstart lever, again remove the plug & you should be able to do it by hand. If its still under warranty, then I would contact them, any work you try may affect the warranty.
Run15

Cheers again all.

Its in 4th gear at present (stuck there). Turns over no problems.

I've decided just to take it to the warranty garage tomorrow in the end. Taking the selector box off etc looked relatively straight forward, but i'm going to play it safe as to not invalidate the warranty in any way.

All advice recieved was greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Any news.
Run15

Hi, cheers for asking.

Yes a bit of news.

The scooter is in the garage under warranty at the mo. Apparently there is some burring on a rod in the gearbox (i think the gear selector rod?) and so it had become stuck. Just waiting for the new part along with another issue they found whilst it was opened up.

Just awaiting piaggio approval to get the works done under warranty.

Cheers
coaster

Have you checked the gearbox oil level?
Run15

The garage confirmed the oil level was fine. I haven't had it from brand new so not sure what happened before me. However, its only 5 month old so i can't imagine why the oil level would have dropped to a critical level within that time. But i don't know, you guys know these scoots better than I ?

As long as it all gets done under warranty, i'll just chalk it down to experience of buying a scooter!
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Bad luck, hope it gets sorted out.

At least it wasn't something trivial, if you can regard that as an upside :-/
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information